should i run in....

Options
I don't live in a very good neighborhood so my question is if it would be better to run early in the morning or at night? It's going to be dark out at both times. If I were to run in the morning it would be 6am and at night it would be at 7pm. I don't have enough to invest in a gym so pretty much my home is my gym but I need to change my workout to start losing weight again.

Replies

• skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Can you jog in a nicer neighborhood? Something closer to work by chance? Yikes! Bring mace regardless
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i say morning!
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you know how to download from the internet BIT TORRENTS, you can get almost any workout for free. I downloaded Shaun T's INSANITY that will definately get you going or maybe P90X. They are both quite good.
    I don't run unless something i chasing me and by the sounds of things that could very well become your case. I'm bias when it comes to running I really don't enjoy it - I have tried. I find it boring and if you're afraid maybe stick with your gut feeling and try another avenue.
    Perhaps an avid runner will have some suggestions but I say try the workout DVDs. They worked well for me.
    Good luck
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    My hubs is a runner and we have sort of the same problem. There are a lot of nicer neighborhoods close to us. He drives a few blocks away and runs there! It's only 5 min out of his way to do it and I feel much safer. Also, invest in a Road ID! Good luck with the running!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    if you can find a sucker......err I mean friend to jog with ya. ^^ safety in numbers I say!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I say morning. And always stay in a populated or open area. Avoid alleys or darker places. Keep your "spidey" sences about you, if something doesn't feel right get out of there and fast, better safe then sorry!!! I suggest you carry mace or pepper sray too. They are very light and easy to pack. If possible, like others have suggested, find a better area to run in. and try to find a running partner. There is safety in numbers (preferably a big hunky guy as a deterant! lol)

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, and not comfortble with the area.....drive to an area you are comfortable. I prefer mornings, but have run in the evening..just depends on schedule.....and weather.

I also don't pay for a gym membership so running outside is a big part of my routine. Except when there's snow or ice on the ground like right now.
  • kickchick
    kickchick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drive to a local school in a better neighborhood that has a running track. I keep better track of my time and there are usually more people around. Also, the track surface is better for your joints than pavement or concrete.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I vote for the morning. In my area I usually see bus drivers, newspaper deliverypeople, other runners, etc. The people I see in the morning seem to have a reason to be out and about @ that hour. I walk the quickest route to the busiest street (I am a sidewalk walker/runner) and walk on the main drags mostly. Just in case there's a problem there's more likely to be a witness! :laugh: