sickness and exercise

Options
I'm getting over a cold I had since sunday and I know rest is the best thing for me. I have been sitting around since after my 6k on sunday and i NEED to do something. What would be the best thing to do that wont hinder my recovery, i was thinking yoga?

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Do the collarbone test. If the "cold" is above the collarbone, you should be fine to exercise but you might want to go a little easier. If the "cold" is below the collarbone, then you will want to rest until it's clear. BUT, always listen to your body. If you do try to work out and feel like crud, cut it short and get some rest. Diet is more important anyhow, so pay special attention to what you are eating while you are recovering.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Do the collarbone test. If the "cold" is above the collarbone, you should be fine to exercise but you might want to go a little easier. If the "cold" is below the collarbone, then you will want to rest until it's clear. BUT, always listen to your body. If you do try to work out and feel like crud, cut it short and get some rest. Diet is more important anyhow, so pay special attention to what you are eating while you are recovering.

Could not have said it better myself! Thumbs Up on this advice.:smile:
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I too am getting over a cold I had since Friday night; didn't do ANYTHING Saturday, did a very short walk Sunday, and a 2.5-mile walk Monday and this morning. All of that represents basically what I did for exercise prior to joining MFP and making the commitment to lose weight. I now see the silver lining in this cold, which is that while I'm still mostly a walker, I MISS doing two walks a day and the semi-regular Wii Fit and exercise bike I've been getting into! So maybe this has been a good thing, I'm realizing I'm moving more than I used to and I'm getting into that habit.

For another tip, I also kept to 1200 calorie intake on all those days. It bummed me out, though, to see that Dayquil and Nyquil are about 100 calories per dose.....