Eggplant, aubergine, ....

Options
muchojaleo
muchojaleo Posts: 10 Member
Does anyone know tasty healthy yummie recipes with eggplant??

Love 'em but do not know what to do with them except frying them or roasting them plain or with paprika,.....

Any ideas? :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to bake them, then cut them into cubes and add them to spaghetti sauce.
    Also, adding them to stir-fry is wonderful.
    I also hear that stuffing them with a sausage stuffing is great, but I have never tried it.
  • blondeNdappy
    Options
    Ratatouille is quite nice, add some chilli to give it a kick! I would also say moussaka is quite nice too but the normal recipe is with white sauce, I don't know a recipe but there must be one were you use low fat soft cheese or something like that?! Good luck!
  • mauck1975
    mauck1975 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not sure on the calories but I think it should be healthy.... I like to slice the eggplant and brush on a litttle olive oil on both sides then i place on baking sheet and broil for 5 min on each side then add a little cheese and broil until melted. maybe 1 minute. this is yummy dipped in ranch dressing :) you can add the seosoning that you like
  • alsernest
    Options
    I make this eggplant dish all the time and family and friends love it. I slice the eggplant and grill it on my george forman, when it is brown I put it in the bottom of a casserole dish and spray the top of it with Pam Olive Oil and then sprinkle sea salt on top. Next I grill zucchini the same way and place it on top of the eggplant, again spray it with Pam and sprinkle with sea salt. I grill a large onion in a skillet and pour that over top again with some sea salt and then I slice tomatoes over top of the onions. I top it off with 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese and put it in the oven at 300 for 20 minutes. Hope you like it.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The trick with preparing eggplant is getting rid of their bitter flavour.
    Slice them into 1/2" thick pieces and sprinkle salt on both sides. This will draw out some of the bitter moisture inside. After about 20 minutes, wash the eggplant slices and pat dry. Then use them like normal.

Make baba ganoush from them: it's a spread similar to hummus. Throw sauteed eggplant in your food processor with lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, shallots, and parsley.

Check out some recipes for eggplant parmesan if that's your style.
    Eggplant is also excellent when added to curries and tomato sauces.

If you slice the eggplant reeeeally thin and bake it on parchment paper with some liquid smoke, cumin, and barbecue sauce brushed on, they will crisp up just like bacon! :love:
  • muchojaleo
    muchojaleo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow... thank you all...

I will have to go buy some more tomorrow to try all that... sounds yummie.

Today I baked it with peppers and onions and made like a warm salad... it was very nice... tomorrow I will be trying some of your ideas.... :-)

Thanks again.

Cheers!
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    I make the weight watcher eggplant parmesan and its really good!!!!