Too much water?

Options
Is there such a thing as too much water?? the reason I ask is because I am constantly thirsty. I could drink and drink and drink water all day non stop! I usually have a minimum of 12 glasses down by the end of my work day at 430. then throughout the night I probably drink another 4 or so. that is just water, doesn't include any tea, pop, etc. I don't drink much of anything else. Sometimes I have a tea during the day and sometimes I have a coke or sprite zero at night with supper.
Anyways I notice that I get VERY bloated. And I am wondering if it has to do with how much water I drink. Last night when I got home from work I was so bloated I literally looked like I was 5-6 months pregnant. And I am not exagerating at all, I almost considered going and getting a pregnancy test I was that bloated!!
Any advise on water consumption??
thanks!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I drink almost 2 gallons a day - I got myself into the habit of drinking 24oz every hour. This doesn't count the water I drink in tea, what I take my supplements with, what I drink when I exercise, or what I put in my smoothie.
  • nll002
    nll002 Posts: 18
    Options
    I drink about 12 glasses a day, but no bloating - maybe it's your salt intake? Sodium makes your body retain water and would cause you to be thirsty more often. Try checking your sodium on your nutrition here on MFP, maybe that's it?
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Link for water intoxication, also known as water poisoning:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

But it is very rare. The constant thirst could be a sign of something medical going on, like diabetes. Have you talked to a Dr about it?
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    I actually don't have a family Dr right now but am looking for one. I have a few other issues as well, bloating, dry mouth, constipation, etc. So I want a Dr who is willing to do all the blood work and take the time to help me figure it out. But I am having a hard time finding a good Dr here in Fort McMurray, Alberta. they all just want the person in and out as fast as possible :(
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You should check your sodium intake here. That is one thing and also when you do find a doctor, get the blood test and maybe a glucose test. I know with my diabetis if I'm not being good one symptom is being thirsty. I hope that isn't what is causing your issues but better to check. Good luck!
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    according to my sodium intake on here (2500mg - seems like a lot but that is the default) I am always under. and my urine is pretty much ALWAYS clear. I can tell when I have a lot of excess sodium usually because then my urine goes yellow
  • nblanchet
    Options
    Be careful with too much water consumption. Some people get water logged and this causes the bloating. My cousin Dionne; who is a freakin' health nut, God love her, was hospitalized two years ago from too much water consumption. You can drowned your organs. She was told that if she is not working out to hardcore that she should drink no more than 12 glasses a day. Check with your doctor to see if you are prone to water logged.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Constant thirst is one of the signs of diabetes so I would definitely go in and have some labs done.
  • dionnediakow
    Options
    I'd be the crazy cousn! Yes, you can basically over hydrate yourself and lose all essential nutrients in your body. I hate juice, milk and most other liquids (besides red wine) so I tend to drink between 5-7 ltrs of water per day. Now I try my hardest to stay under 5.