Mostly Fruit diet?

Options
Hi All!

I've been reading alot lately on the healthy benifits of adding more fruit to ur diet.. as it can help with psorisis, and other skin conditions, and apparently if u eat mostly fruit and then start in add in other foods, you can find out what your more alergic to, or what ur body really doesnt digest well.

So, this is what I'm thinking of trying..
eating mostly fruit through out the day, and for 1 main meal a day, have a complete meal with veggies,protein, probably some dairy, fat all of that too keep things a bit more balanced.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has eaten this way, and did u you like it? I'd read lots of great reviews, and eating fruit always make me feel more energic and like a clean/healthy natural feeling.

>>> I'm not saying this will be my diet for life.. more like a couple weeks to a month or so, to help with my skin, see what I can digest better (if im alergic to dairy or anything like that) and also I know it will help me drop a couple pounds :)

Please dont be all preachy on here, I'm looking for people interested in this, or have done it.
I know I should take the .. "everything in moderation approach and go slow"... blah blah, I know that! Been doin' that for 2 years..
I'm lookin' at a change for a bit...

Replies

• carolinegeorgia
    Options
    Hi, I randomly decide to have fruit only days, sometimes for 1 day or 2 days, always makes me feel good and very healthy, not sure if it's good for you long term though!
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and tend to eat a lot of fruit. The only problem is, it pushes me over on the sugar quotient. I think adding vegetables can give you the same healthy skin without all the sugar. I just had a bowl of steamed green beans with garlic powder and a big bowl was only 25 calories, 4 carbs and 2 grams of sugar. On the other hand, the fruit cup I had from Starbucks this morning was 35 grams of sugar, 42 carbs, and 100 calories. So veggies may be the better way to go. Good Luck!
    Liz
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think you need a healthy BALANCE of fruits, veggies, carbs and proteins. All of these are ESSENTIAL for proper body function. There is a lot of sugar in fruit (good sugars) it may make your body do some crazy things. Just my humble oppinion.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    I tend to agree with lizb59. Fruit is relatively high in calories and sugar, and even though it's natural sugar, I do think moderation is key (even though that's not what you want to hear!). There's also nothing about fruit that makes it better for your skin than vegetables.

Believe me, I'm not happy about this, either -- I like fruit way better than vegetables! But I don't think a mostly-fruit diet, even for a week or two, is going to be all that effective for you.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say moderation blah blah blah, but fruit does have more sugar into, which is why you feel that energy rush when you eat it. It will also cause energy crashes when eaten too much (just like any sugar does)....your call....but veggies are definitely the way to go....if you do fruit only, keep it to fruits with lots of fibre (it will help balance the blood sugar so you don't spike so heavily).
  • kickchick
    kickchick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did that back in college for a while...I think a week or two...she seemed fine on it but I don't think it's a long term solution. I gather you know that though, from your post. :bigsmile:
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    it does depend on your weight loss goals. because of the sugar content in fruit a high fruit diet isn't necessary conducive to weight-loss. it certainly can be very nutritious and healthful....
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying this myself =)
    But I would stick to low GI fruits such as apples, pears, blueberries, grapefruits, Oranges and cantaloupes etc.
  • hunor6
    hunor6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Lately I have read a pretty good and really complete detailed report on raw fruit diet. Even if you're not into complete raw friut diet, you can still see the positive results fruits have on one's body:
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/02/raw-food-diet/
    So I'd recommend trying to eat a lots of fruits, it's really healthy and it makes you feel good :smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think you need a healthy BALANCE of fruits, veggies, carbs and proteins. All of these are ESSENTIAL for proper body function. There is a lot of sugar in fruit (good sugars) it may make your body do some crazy things. Just my humble oppinion.

I agree. A BALANCED diet is best. One to two servings of fruit a day is all we need, particularly on restricted calorie diets (which most of us are on, since we're trying to lose weight). Although fruit sugar is packed with a lot of other goodness (vitamins, fiber, etc.) it is still sugar and we shouldn't be loading up on fruit to the exclusion of other essential foods. Protein, Carbs, and Fats are all key to your well-being, and you won't get enough protein or fats eating primarily fruit.