Eating your exercise calories??

Options
13»

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    But why should I eat my exercise calories if I am NOT hungry? I'm serious. I don't WANT to eat. I consume at least 1200 and often hit my limit (1490) per day. I don't think it makes sense to eat if you're not hungry.

I completely agree with you. I have a sweet spot for losing weight and it is between 1400 and 1600 calories.

Heres my problem with "eating" exercise calories. Unless you have a body bug, or some other tracker, there are just WAY too many variables in determining how many calories you have actually burned.

Additionally, even if you are tracking everything you can STILL be underestimating how much you are eating. I started another thread with a ink to a video that explains why this is. Basically it has to do with measuring food in a cup vs. weighing it on a scale. And a lot of people don't realize that nutritional labels can vary by as much as 20%, and yes, it is legal!!

Eat more than you think + don't burn as much as you think = no weight loss or maybe even gain, even if you think you are doing everything right. I have been staying in my "sweet spot" and have already dropped 6# since last Monday. Now, I am aware most of that is water, but I'm confident when it slows, I'll be on track for a 1-2 pound a week loss.

If I am a little hungry, usually a piece of fruit or healthy carb will take care of it, and I remain in my "sweet spot."
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I eat all of them. Every day. That's a big reason I work out - to have more calories to enjoy! It's working for me so far. 4 pounds lost first week.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    There are lots of answers on this board about this, but honesty, my opinion as a Trainer differs from some of them.

The simple and accurate answer is that it's up to you. Typically MFP tells you to eat a 500 calorie deficit every day. That component (eating less than you need to eat to maintain your current weight) is half of the formula and over a week's time will result in your losing ONE pound. Seven days x 500 too few calories a day = 3500 calories which equals one pound of fat.

If you exercise, for example, 500 calories a day x 7 days a week, that's 3500 calories or another pound you'll lose every week. If you eat all of these calories, then your weight loss won't be 2 pounds a week, but will be one pound a week because you're only "under" 3500 calories in a week again. If you eat half of your calories burned (in my hypothetical example 500 calories burned every day which is a challenge!), then you'll lose 1.5 pounds a week.

From a Trainer's viewpoint, I tell my clients to not consume all of their exercise calories consistently because for my clients to stick with it, they do better when they see faster results. That said, I always tell them that if they have one of those days where they JUST have to have some extra food (and that's okay!), then they should eat SOME OF them. And sometimes, they can and should eat ALL of them. I just try to get them to avoid eating all of them every day because I want them to see a good weight loss every week so they don't get discouraged. Over the years, I've seen more long-term success with this approach, but everyone is different.

Know your numbers, and your own body, and strategize accordingly. Make the conscious decision about how much you want to lose and plan accordingly. If you're a maniac and can burn 1,000 calories every day, you could eat 500 of them and still lose the 2 pounds a week. Conversely if you burn that many calories and don't eat them, you'd be up to a three pound loss every week.

All of that said, I review my client's food diaries in detail, and am a stickler about them eating super healthfully, not just at the proper calorie level. That way I know they're getting good nutrition out of their minimum of 1200 calories each day. With that kind of nutrition, and the change-ups I have them make in diet and exercise, I just don't get people plateauing. While it might make "math sense" that if you eat 1200 and burn 500, it seems logical that your body has only received 700 calories, but in reality, the science element of this doesn't really work this simply. If you are consuming 1200 calories of high quality, high volume, clean food, your body does very well and doesn't fall apart even with significant calorie burns. It's complicated, but that's the simple explanation. :)

Bottom line is it is up to you and how you are feeling that day/week. Some weeks, especially during my period when I crave carbs big time, I eat all of my exercise calories for several days. But then I'll get back into my normal mode and not eat them or eat only a few of them, depending on how I feel and what my specific plan is.

Good luck to everyone with their own approach! :) Just be sure to eat ALL of your basic calories (e.g. 1200 or whatever your minimum caloric intake is).
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Thank you Robin!!! Some great information!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I can't even get to my regular calories. How can I even begin to eat back calories from exercise :huh: I'm never hungry so I don't want to eat just to eat. Thats the habit I'm trying to relieve myself of.

I'm on a 1600 to 1800 calorie intake plan from my nutritionist. I'm haven't reached 1600 yet this week and its not from the lack of trying. I'm close today but I'm done with eating and I'm only drinking water for the rest of the night.

Maybe tomorrow.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them but I an curious about the results of the people that do..

I ate all or almost all of mine, and still do. I found that I had to eat all my calories to get a steady weight loss. In the beginning of my journey my weight loss staled because I was not eating enough. When I upped my calorie in take and started eating all or almost all my exercise calories I lost at a very steady 1lbs per week and happily met my goal. I went from 135 to 115 in abut 21 weeks and that includes the 4 or 5 weeks my weight loss staled due to under eating.

Good luck to everyone on there journey. I hope you all find a way that works for you.
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    I have a pretty simple answer.........some days I eat my exercise calories, and some days I don't. Often times, it just depends on how hungry I am. :-)