Calories I have burned, am I supposed to make those up?

soyjoy
soyjoy Posts: 12
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I am confused. Am I supposed to make up for the calories I have burned while exercising? It always says I am below my calories. I don't want to mess up and get my metabolism stuck like it's been for years now. I have eliminated processed foods from my diet and I am mostly vegetarian, although I do consume fish. I am always stuffed, and have trouble getting enough calories as it is. H E L P please!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Yes, eat your exercise calories!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Copy and Pasted answer I just wrote on another thread asking almost the exact same question.... for the third time today.

Short answer: Try Searching this topic, as it has been discussed ad nausea here on the site.

Longer (but not nearly long enough) answer:
    Your body requires a certain number of calories in order for you to simply exist. In order for you eyes to blink, your heart to keep beating, your hair to keep growing, your organs to keep functioning, you have to feed it a certain number of calories. This number is called your BMR. (Use the tool on this site to check your BMR...) For example, my BMR is about 1490 calories. So say I lay in bed allllll day, motionless. I would require 1490 calories just to keep my body alive in a coma-like state.
    The second I get out of bed, walk across the room, open the door to the bathroom, brush my teeth, pee, weigh myself, turn on the hot water,and hop in the shower...I have burned calories. Minimal...but still enough to start cutting into the 1490 my body needs in order to fuel its most basic functions.

So if I eat my BMR of 1490 a day, I am only giving my body enough to do its basic functions.

MFP gave me 1200 calories based on my desire to lose 2 lbs a week. At my height and current weight, losing 2 lbs per week is not reasonable, but I wanted to lose FAST. And the lowest MFP will set someone's calories is 1200 (For many good reasons). 1200 is sort of an arbitrary number at this point but no one should really eat LESS than 1200, and there are likely very few people who could eat 1200 calories for the rest of their lives and maintain weight or stay satisfied. (opinion...sorry) I lost 20+ lbs eating 1200 cals a day. Wahoo! Yeah me!! Right? WRONG. The second I started eating "normal" again, I gained all 20+ lbs back, PLUS MORE. It might "work" in the short term, but for many here, 1200 calories isnt the lifestyle change needed to STAY healthy and thin.

OK, back to the exercise thing. If I eat my 1500 (1490) cals today, my body will already be at a deficit for weight loss since I got out of bed, functioned, walked, lifted my toddler countless times, etc. So if I were to workout and burn 500 calories this afternoon, my body would be at an even greater deficit, and risk pushing my body to panic. Once your body panics and your metabolism worries that you are not feeding it enough, you will start to store fat at a faster rate. Your body and metabolism will try to hang onto any extra store of fat in preparation for an upcoming "famine".

Another way to look at it: If you eat 1200 calories and then exercise 500 calories away, you are only holding onto 700 calories for your body to draw from for energy, organ function, eye blinking, etc etc. Its just not enough for your body to exist on without causing longterm troubles.

It took me a looooong time to "get" this. I still have to consciously remind myself to eat my calories in order to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive...but it WORKS. When I eat my BMR and at LEAST half my exercise calories, I lose weight. When I only eat 1200 calories, I am miserable, hungry, and i might lose some weight initially...but i gain it alllll back with a few extra for fluffiness.

Bottom line: eat more, keep moving, lose more, keep it off
    BMR + exercise calories = longterm success

Hope that helped!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Copy and Pasted answer I just wrote on another thread asking almost the exact same question.... for the third time today.

Right? This gets asked like 20 times a day!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    katbass is correct. Eat them!!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member

Right? This gets asked like 20 times a day!

You and I have been tag-teaming them nicely though :) haha I think its part of a "New Year's Resolution" crowd that may have just joined or just started their plan of attack. I want to welcome them :) (Although I must admit.....I did briefly wonder if someone was playing a joke on me......HOW many ways can you ask the SAME question!??!
  • em20lbs2go
    em20lbs2go Posts: 2 Member
    I have a friend who is a trainer… and I have tried to keep up on the “new ideas” for weight loss.. even though I struggle with it myself.
    My friend told me that you should bounce your calorie intake around on a regular basis.. between 1000-1800 calories a day. Your 1000 calorie days should be the day you DO NOT go to the gym.. or anything else for that matter. The idea is to keep your body guessing. No matter how much you work out.. you should always TRY to keep it under 1800.. for women. (Durring the weight loss part of your life style change.)
    This is the advice I got, and try to stick to ;0)
This discussion has been closed.