Icelandic Yogurt - Skyr - similar to Greek

Options
I wanted to make people aware of another brand of yogurt out there, similar to Greek Style - it's Icelandic Yogurt that is called Skyr. The brand I've seen in the health/whole food stores around me is called Siggi's, and it's SUPER thick - moreso than typical Greek yogurt (in my opinion). I absolutely love the flavor and texture and find it is much richer tasting than regular Greek yogurt. All of Siggi's yogurts are made with skim milk, and when they use added sweetener, it's agave nectar - no artificial anything. Most of the sugar levels are pretty reasonable - 4g/cup for the plain yogurt (all from the milk) or 10-11g/cup for the flavored (sweetened) yogurts. The protein content is high - 16 to 17g per 6oz serving for all of the different flavors. I also like that they have a good collection of different good bacteria in the yogurt - more than is typical in most yogurts I see in the grocery stores.

The downside is it's pretty expensive, but it's something I'm willing to treat myself to occasionally because it's SO good.

Here's the website if anyone's interested: http://skyr.com/products.html
They have a page where you can find stores near you that sell it.

Replies

• ctheslayer
    Options
    I have not seen Siggi's in Trader Joe's. I'll check out Whole Foods this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've tried SIggis...isn't it also made from Goats Milk? I think if I remember right the ones I got were a little too runny for my taste, but maybe I got an off one if you say they are super thick, which is what I like. They are pretty tart but I liked the flavors for sure! I will have to try them again.
    He was just featured in a food magazine last month so I expect the demand will go up and we'll see it in more stores soon.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip - I will have to look for it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've tried SIggis...isn't it also made from Goats Milk? I think if I remember right the ones I got were a little too runny for my taste, but maybe I got an off one if you say they are super thick, which is what I like. They are pretty tart but I liked the flavors for sure! I will have to try them again.
    He was just featured in a food magazine last month so I expect the demand will go up and we'll see it in more stores soon.

Nope - this brand (Siggi's) is made from cow's milk. I double checked their website and they explicitly state that. I haven't found them runny - you do have to stir it up a bit because sometimes the whey (what little is left) will separate at the top, but I stir it up and it's good to go.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am going to bump this topic (instead of posting a new one) because I tried Skyr (Siggis brand) for the first time this morning and will say that I am going to be absolutely addicted to it. It will soon replace my Chobani supply (once my family eats the 20 Chobanis currently stacked in the fridge...).

It's expensive ($2.49 each where I shop, so twice as expensive as Chobani), but it seems SO worth it since it's so thick and creamy, loaded with protein, and has half the amount of sugar that fruit-on-the-bottom Chobani has.
  • thordisintho
    thordisintho Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm Icelandic and I absolutely LOVE that skyr is finally taking on the rest of the world! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've had it before also (Whole Foods has it) and it is very yummy!