so frustrating

Options
hello. my name is John, im 33 years old and I'm from Long Island

i have always been able to fluxuate my weight... until i turned 30. lol. it used to be that i could drop weight whenever i wanted to. now... not so much. so in May of 2010... i decided it was time. i went on a strict diet and within 3 months, i lost 34 pounds. i went from 315 to 281. thats when i decided to take it up a notch and started hitting the gym hard. i was bulking up as well as shedding weight. i noticed my chest and arms getting bigger and i was so excited! by the time the middle of October came, i had lost 59 pounds and was down to 256. then i caught a cold and stopped hitting the gym for about a week. naturally, i passed this cold to my wife, and suddenly she couldnt go to the gym. i had gotten so used to her company, that i wanted to wait til she got better. next thing i knew, its close to Thanksgiving and i havent been in the gym in a month. between Thanksgiving and Christmas and getting gout on my right foot, i was a mess. i broke down and got fast food for the first time in 6 months. since then, i have fell way off my track, and put 26 pounds back on. i am currently at 282. in the grand scheme of things, i am still down 33 pounds from when i started, but it's FRUSTRATING to think where i would be had i never stopped. i was on a great pace and i was so motivated.

so a co-worker of mine told me about this site, and with my obsessive personality, it's PERFECT!! i find myself not wanting to grab an unhealthy snack in fear that it will make food tracker look horrible.

my goal weight is 235. thats 47 pounds. i am looking forward to reaching my goal, tracking my progress here, and chatting with people that have the same goals as me!!

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And you'll love this site! You have done great don't worry!

I get frustrated too, I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago, and haven't been able to keep it off, In spring summer I'm 125- 130 in winter I'm 140 - 150 and 3 sizes bigger :( Keeping it off is the real tricky part, and I too get really frustrated ... I hope you'll get to meet lots of like minded people here who can help you out ... And good luck on your journey!
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    awesome......once you set your mind to it, sounds like you are the type to follow through.........I don't know what type of personality you have, but I can't say, "I will never have fast food or a chocolate snack again!".......it just doesn't work for me.......I need to plan for them and work them into my cals for the day........as long as I tried to eat pretty healthy normally I don't stress over a hamburger or M & M Fun Size packet once in a while........but you know you much better......maybe it's better NEVER........you have to do what works for you........I've come from 306 and trying to go all the way this time..........good luck!
  • wideright019
    Options
    awesome......once you set your mind to it, sounds like you are the type to follow through.........I don't know what type of personality you have, but I can't say, "I will never have fast food or a chocolate snack again!".......it just doesn't work for me.......I need to plan for them and work them into my cals for the day........as long as I tried to eat pretty healthy normally I don't stress over a hamburger or M & M Fun Size packet once in a while........but you know you much better......maybe it's better NEVER........you have to do what works for you........I've come from 306 and trying to go all the way this time..........good luck!

thanks!!!
    yes, i allow myself a cheat day once a week. usually Sundays. but when i "cheat" i dont go crazy.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I did the very same thing! In January of 2010 I joined MFP to lose 30 pounds before my wedding in October. By the End of September I had lost 25 pounds. I was doing great! My wedding came around and WAM I fell of the wagon HARD. I gained back around 10 pounds of what I had lost. Now, here I am again, trying to lose the 10 pounds I gained and the additional 5 pounds that I missed. Good luck to you!!
  • islandgirljane
    islandgirljane Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow when you mentioned what happens when you hit 30 I couldn't agree more. At least you found this site before you got closer to 40. Welcome to the club it will help you stay motivated.
  • kgarvey66
    Options
    I just started this program on friday 1/7/11 and lost 2 pounds, I started at 196 and I have never been this heavy in my life even when I was pregnant with my 3 kids. I thought because I am older (46), I was saying it was that, but I also go to the gym. I spoke to a Nutritionist at my gym and she recommend this website. I love it lost weight just by watching my foods exercise, the things we are surpose to do. I feel this website is a reminder of things we need to do and is helpful talking to people with experience on the site.... So good luck and I will see you around the site...