HELP!

Options
Hey All, I have been so good this week and am excited about weigh in tomorrow. Cant wait! I have been extremely tired though.. and I haven't really been active. Can anyone suggest some easy exercise to do to get back into it?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun, easy cardio to do. If you don't have any classes nearby, you can look up things on youtube.com and put together a playlist of 30min-60min dancing.
    Walking is also a good start. I always have time for a walk, even on workout days.
    Some other low-intensity exercise:
    pilates
    yoga
    exercisetv.tv (lots of beginner workouts from 10minutes to 45 minutes) <--it's a website

Also, you can break up more intense workouts into 10-15 minute segments at different times of the day so you can "attack" them with renewed energy.
    Hope this helped! Remember, the more you exercise, the easier it becomes to get into that "runner's high"!
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't hate me for this, but unless you are hurt or recovering from an injury, you do not need easy exercise. Get off your butt and get after it. Drop the I don't have time. Drop the doubt., Drop the denial. Drop the I need to ease back in to it. Drop the i need to make it a habit. They are all buzz word craptastic phrases that do not burn a single damn calorie.

So here it is.

The difference between training and working out is knowing what the hell you are doing while you are working out. Go get a heart rate monitor (about $30) and learn how to use it. Then get out there and work in the zones you need to work in. It is not rocket science. Need a recovery day, work in the fat burning range. Pissed at the world, go cardio and tease anaerobic.

Seriously, would you rather spend 30 minutes doing something easy that has no fitness benefit what so ever, or, spend 30 minutes improving your health? Does it mean more to tell your friends you went to the gym? Or, does it mean more to improve your cardio health and drop your resting heart rate by 10 bpm. Easy won't get you the ladder. Easy it was got you in the postion you are in.

Like we used to say in the Marine Corps, Pain is weakness leaving the body. Now go get some.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    A HRM is SO awesome for working out! I started out with a cheap one from Walmart, Sportline brand. It worked very well and got the job done for just starting out!

Zumba is awesome but so is kickboxing! You can so get into it and I always burn a lot of calories doing both! I also love pilates but its not a real heart pounding activity (though depending on the DVD, I'm completely wrong! lol! I just tend to do a lot of toning exercises vs a cardio based pilates.) :o)
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I sure do have a HRM had to stop workng out cause of a knee injury. I did Zumba before but it was harsh on the knees. I want to keep moving but dont want to do anymore damage. What is the best HR to be at when working out anyway, I have a polar ft7 and it tells me when I am in the fat burning zone but I am not sure if it is accurate?
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    HR zones are based on percentage of your maximum heart rate. A rough estimate of your maximum heart rate (MHR) can easily be determined with the following formula MHR=206 - (0.88 x age). NOTE: This is specific to a woman.

Once you have that number you can go to any one of a bazillion websites (I recommend Livestrong) and read up on HR training. Look specifically for information on Fat Burning, Aerobic and Anaerobic zones.

Try swimming (not great for weight loss), spinning or AMT/Elliptical machines. They are all great because they take the load off your joints.