Kefir

_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone attempted to make their own Kefir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir)?
I have looked at a few websites that provide information on how to make kefir but I was wondering if it's worth the effort?

How does the taste compare to the organic (unsweetened) versions that are available in the store?
Any suggestions on where to buy the kefir grains?

Thanks...

Replies

• arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    I have been drinking a kefir smoothie for breakfast several times a week. I buy one container of the unsweetened and one container of the flavored and mix 1/2 cup each together in a blender with a few blueberries. I found it a nice compromise...it especially helps with the consistency (which was too thick for me when using only unsweetened)... hth!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    I'm fine with the unsweetened and after doing some research it seems like an excellent post work out nutrient to consume.

So I have been taking it for a while and now I am interested in attempting to make it myself from the grains....
    Anyone else tried doing this?
  • I haven't tried yet, but I just went to the "local" health food store only to find $33.99 on the box for kefir starters. OMG....I did find some online as well, and a lot cheaper, but I guess you're taking a chance. Does anyone know of a reputable Kefir grain merchant? I'd certainly be interested!! I found a recipe for coconut water kefir, so that's what I'm going to try....

Also, does anyone know the recommended serving for Kefir? Does it depend on individual needs? Can you drink too much in a day?
This discussion has been closed.