Oklahoma?

Options
Husband and I read last night that Oklahoma had a very high obesity rate -- something like 35%. I live in Oklahoma - proudly - but sadly I fall into that category! Just wondering how many other Oklahoman's are out there trying to get healthy and in turn get our name off the heavy list!? If you're from Oklahoma, holler, -- or add me for accountability!

Brandy
Oklahoma City

Replies

• cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi I am an Okie!! Yes, I did a research paper on childhood obesity and Oklahoma is up there on the list, it was in the top 6 when I was doing the research!! I am sending you a friend request!!! :)
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We read it in a mens health magazine article - and I was pretty shocked about it - I guess I knew we were on the lower side for schools and lack of public parks but I never realized that we were on a low side of health! It seems like most of the people I meet are bone thin - but I guess I'm not seeing the bigger picture! Thanks for the friend request!
  • jennb5255
    jennb5255 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oklahoma and I fall into that category also :( I'm sending you a friend request!!
  • thin4mykids
    Options
    When I heard about the obesity percentage I was determined not be part of it!!
  • BlondeNklutzi
    BlondeNklutzi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey hon I'm also from Oklahoma! I shall send you an add request! Any other Oklahomans? Feel free to add me!
  • freemel
    Options
    hi i am from oklahoma i just recently moved to mass b/c of my mom i was thin till i had my 3rd son (figures) then i dropped all the weight in the first year up here now all the weight came back add me if you like
    mel
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    Hey guys I too am in that catagory and trying to get out of it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Oklahoma, but moved to Georgia several years ago. Unfortunately, it's not just Oklahoma. As part of the nutrition minor I've just finished, we learned about BRFSS which is a survey system in the US for various things. Hopefully, this link will work so that you can see the maps of Overweight and Obesity: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/gisbrfss/select_question.aspx If it doesn't do a search for BRFSS and then select maps on the left side and Overweight and Obesity in the drop down box. You can then pick from 3 maps which are normal, overweight, or obese. The southeastern US is all in the high range for both overweight and obese (classified by BMI). So, yeah, I didn't really move out of the "fat belly of America" as my professor calls the southeast. She said we use to be called the Bible Belt, but we got so fat the belt didn't fit anymore. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Im an Okie also!!
  • NlKKA
    NlKKA Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oklahoma! Please feel free to add me.
  • 275going240
    Options
    Okie here, everyone feel free to add me also
  • piano911
    piano911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oklahoma! Please feel free to add me. :smile: