Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I am looking to get one but need some advice on how to go about buying it. What are the best ones? What do you use? How much is too much and how much is too little.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 on Amazon. Used it about a week and love it. I paid $90. When I put a post up nearly everyone suggested the Polar brand. There are higher/better/more expensive versions, but I only needed mine to track time, heart beat and calories - so it works great for that.
  • MonicaS29
    Options
    Polar for sure! I've had the same one for over 2 years and use it almost everyday! Works great! LOVE IT
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I also have the polar FT4, and I use it for the exact same reasons. Just to see my heart rate and my calories.

I have found that these cloaries burned charts on MFP are way too high. I trust my HRM and use its numbers instead.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Vendy - I've had mine for 3 years now and I LOVE it! I have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and paid $130 but it's the best $ I've spent! Mine keeps track of the calories burned as well as fat, heart rate (great for target zones when exercising) and I can download it to my computer (although I never have). I wore mine all day twice, just to see how many calories I burn on an "active" day vs. a non-active day, ie: the weekends. Then I know not to eat over that calorie amount. It's great! I think Target has some but you can shop around. Good Luck!
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I avoid Polar because changing batteries requires factory support. At least it used to. They are also way over priced.

I use the timex iron man road trainer. It is about $80 on Amazon and you can change the batteries yourself.
  • themostbeautifullies
    Options
    Polar without a doubt. I just didn't buy one because in my country is freaking expensive, so I got a Oregon. It does its job, I have no complains at all and I almost always find something to bugs me.
  • CineMachine
    CineMachine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My hubby just bought me a GARMIN FR60. I haven't used it yet, so I really can't tell ya anything!
    However, my husband has used his GARMIN for 4 years now and loves it.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just bought a body bugg. I havent gotten it yet but I have many friends that have used them and they wouldnt trade them for the world. Because there is a new version out now the older version is on sale thru 24 hr fitness for 150.00.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Just bought a Schwinn that does heart rate and counts calories. Cheap and got great reviews.

Will let you know how it works when I get it.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended Polar brand. I bought the FT7 yesterday, and used it this morning for the first time. So far, so good. It was very easy to use. I got mine at Sears for $87 - they are on sale right now - every other place has them for $109.
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just got a Timex personal trainer. It got good reviews and wasn't as expensive. It works great!
  • Vendy
    Vendy Posts: 1
    Options
    I was going to post asking about the same thing... but I guess I don't have to, my girl took care of it! <3:)

Thanks for all the feedback, I think we may be doing a joint purchase shortly.
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Anyone have one that doesn't require a chest strap? I am interested in finding out if anyone has a watch type one without a band that they really like. That's my only beef with polar...even if it's more accurate, i find them uncomfortable.
  • vsangel87
    vsangel87 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    omg, why are they sooo expensive?! i have only 1 job right now and i only get paid $7.50 an hour so buying one wouldn't fit into my budget. is there anything else cheaper than that?? does anyone know about a bodybugg knockoff or something?? lol
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    read alot last night on all different kinds of monitors, just got confused decieded to keep my polar and just not worry when if goes off line for a few min......
    the one thing i did decied the bodybug is a waste unless your very into numbers and are will to pay an extra 7 or so dolllars a month to track you info
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I was going to post asking about the same thing... but I guess I don't have to, my girl took care of it! <3:)

Joint purchase hon? What happens when we both work out at the same time?!?! :)<3

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Polar is the clear winner.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Joint purchase hon? What happens when we both work out at the same time?!?! :)<3

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Polar is the clear winner.

The polar monitor I think is meant for one person. It will ask you to put in your weight and height the first time you program it. But the manual says you can go in and modify the settings, probably as you lose weight to make it more accurate. So, maybe you can go in and change it each time some one new uses it. Might be a pain to do but to save money that may work. One thing to keep in mind it is not calculating if you are doing some resistance to a workout like I do on an elipitcal machine. So, the monitor says that I burned half the calories that the eliptical machine says and the only thing I can think of is because of the resistance.
    I love my polar FT7 and bought it at Sports Authority for $99.00 plus tax.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I avoid Polar because changing batteries requires factory support. At least it used to.

The FT4 series now allow owners to change the batteries