Too much Protein.

Options
I am on day 3 of tracking my food. All 3 days i have gone way over my suggested protein allowance. Is this a bad thing? should i start watching my protein intake closer?

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my protein going over. It is needed to feed your muscles. I just completely ignore it!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    ignore it
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    definitely ignore it, but make sure you get at least the recommended aamount, but anything over is absolutely fine!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Getting too much protein is like getting too much vitamins. It doesn't do anything bad for your body it just helps you build muscle. You pretty much want to go over bc their amount is more like a minimum. Now anything in total excess is bad for you (I'm talking hundreds of mg over) just like vitamins can be. Basically try to go over.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about too much protein!
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do NOT ignore it. If you are taking in a lot of protein, you need to be matching it with exercise. Read this article:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Protein's good for building muscle and helps the body lose fat. The thermic effect of protein is the highest of the three macros (carbs, fat, protein), which means the body has to work harder to process it.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    MFP sets the protein portion at 15% and that is really low compared to the recommendations i've been reading. That said, i wasnt even eating that when i first started (I am a recovering Carb Queen). My target is now adjusted to 25% protein and now i am short on that most every day :) Protein is important for keeping you feeling full and for muscle recovery after exercising. Make sure you are choosing lean sources of protein and you should be ok (assuming you are not waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over your target :)

BTW, i have seen recommendations that the Carb/Protein/Fat ratios should be more like 40/30/30

:smile:
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Completely agree. Unless you are WAY over I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I hit about 150-175mg and I'm trying to build muscle.
  • krsslim
    krsslim Posts: 191
    Options
    I did this, too. . . I looked around at nutrition info from places like web md and mayo clinic - then I went in and customized my goals so that I have 20% of my cals from protein instead of 15%, and 50% from carbs instead of 55%. I've been much more in line since then.
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I first started, today I read that I should be eating the the grams to what I what to weigh. In other words, I want to weigh 115 I should be eating no more than 115 grams of lean protein a day. Not sure how true that is but worth researching.
  • LoseItCorinne
    Options
    Monday i was -37
    Yesterday i was -60
    and as of today i am -3.
    I guess its not waaaaaay over.. :0)

I am eating lean proteins. Chicken Mainly. Yesterday i drank a odwalla juice that had a ton of protein in it. I am working out but the past few days has been cardio i think adding some weight training in there will be beneficial for me.

Thank you all for the feedback.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That article is 9 years old and a myth, some bodies do better with higher percentages of protein. As long as you are getting some good carbohydrates do not worry about your protein intake. One good thing the article mentioned is fluid intake. You should have light to clear urine, dark yellow probably indicates you should be drinking more.