Whole Grains & Pasta Sauces

Options
My husband dislikes rice, so I'm wondering how to serve more whole-grains with dinner.
We eat a lot of whole-grain pasta and I'm running low on ideas for sauces.

Most typical pasta sauce is a tablespoon of butter and 1/2 a tablespoon of whole-wheat flour into a rue as the sauce base.
Then I add 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of beef or chicken stock and let it reduce down.
I spice it up to match the meal, and sometimes add pan drippings.

What are some other sauce ideas? I'm also allergic to dairy and soy, so it needs to be parve.

What else could I serve for whole-grains that isn't rice?

Replies

• anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I cannot be much help on the sauces. For whole grains, usually breads, pastas, and cereals are good options. Maybe try a whole grain cereal or whole grain bread crumbs to use as a crunchy coating over chicken-a different way to incorporate whole grains.
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    we LOVE LOVE LOVE Quinoa! It is delicious! we put it in an electric rice cooker with spices and dried cranberries... its amazing! We top it off with Madras Lentils and its INCREDIBLE!
  • minkyjane
    Options
    You could go for a tomato based sauce - garlic, onion and herbs of choice with a tin of chopped tomatoes. To this you could add pretty much anything you like - chicken or bacon or mushrooms or courgette or aubergine.

For other whole grains you could make corn bread (look for low fat recipes) and eat that as a side with a casserole or something.

While not exactly grains - adding beans to your meals gives is another idea. Chili Beef and beans or beans in a beef casserole.

I also make my own muffins with wholemeal all purpose flour. Heaps of easy low fat recipes on the web and full of fibre.