Im sick...what should I be eating?

Hummmingbird
Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Good evening,

well i have come down with a cold :( i feel like crap from runny nose to sneezing and aches and general BLAH....! so, what should i be eating to help fight this cold but is still nutritious and low fat etc....thanks!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm channeling my mom: chicken soup or minestrone (especially homemade, so the sodium's not horrible).

If you're not too stuffy, but still chilly, oatmeal works for me. Also tea....and sympathy.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Nice simple chicken soup is nice, with vegies but no potatoes :) sip the broth is good for you :)

Add me if you want :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Pretty much anything as long as it's healthy. Lots of orange juice. My mom makes a special soup whenever someone is sick. It's basically a tomato based vegetable soup with lots of ginger, garlic and some crushed red pepper. The heat from the spices really helps knock out the cold. It's pretty much the only thing I eat until I'm better, which usually only takes a couple of days. I added chicken to mine when I made it a couple of weeks ago.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Nice simple chicken soup is nice, with vegies but no potatoes :) sip the broth is good for you :)

Add me if you want :)

What's wrong with potatoes?
  • nothing wrong with a few tots. try some high calcium foods too like good ole OJ.
  • I think it would be okay to continue eating what you are eating as long as you are not short changing your caloric needs. Not getting enough calories when you are sick could cause the illness to last longer because your immune system is worn down and you are not supplying yourself with enough energy (aka food/calories) to fight off the sickness. Also, make sure you aren't exhausting yourself with your workouts--especially if the cold has gone to your chest (nasty cough, mucus in the chest, etc) because super intense cardio will just wear down your respiratory system and make it harder to get better. It's a really good idea to make sure you are getting enough rest at night, too.

Finally, whenever I get sick, I make sure I am taking my daily vitamins, along with getting Vitamin C. I am not a big orange juice drinker, but I LOVE Airborne tablets. You just dissolve them in like 4 oz. of water and drink. Like that, you get a boost of Vitamin C along with some other great immune system strengthening vitamins and minerals. One of my good friends also swears by Zyrtec, but I have never tried it, so I don't really know.

I hope you feel better!!
This discussion has been closed.