Are calories burned for exercises in diary accurate?

Options
I added 40 minutes of step aerobics to my diary today and it gave me 642 calories burned - I wish hahaha
Why is it so high? Am I missing something? That can't be right.

Replies

• sunflower9237
    Options
    I know, I feel the same way when I add my exercise for the day..
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to know the same thing. I think someone w/ a heart rate monitor should do one of the thing in the database and see how they compare.
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to know the same thing. I think someone w/ a heart rate monitor should do one of the thing in the database and see how they compare.

Wouldn't it depend on the person? Or no?

I bought a heart rate monitor that is supposed to count my calories burned, too.. can't wait. It should come in tomorrow or the next day. :bigsmile: It's like Christmas all over again.
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    Ok, bump! Did we get an answer because I really need to know. The machine will say one thing and the database will say another. It will be awhile before I can get a monitor, so this info is needed stat!
  • ScubaMan
    Options
    Well I checked out a bunch of different websites this morning to compare the calories burned for exercises.

Yes it is definately different for everyone, I would burn more than someone who weighs 50lbs less than me.

Men can burn more than women, heavier burn more than lighter, etc.

It was about the same calores burned on the various websites, so its just an average.

Still sounds like a lot, im skeptical lol.
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I am too! According to these stats, I have burned alot over the last three days. I am tempted to believe it!! :wink:
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ok, bump! Did we get an answer because I really need to know. The machine will say one thing and the database will say another. It will be awhile before I can get a monitor, so this info is needed stat!

Right now I go by what the machine says because it's always lower than the database and I trust it more because the machine monitors the resistance and speed during my workout. I also always insert my age and weight into the machine hoping for a more accurate read. So when I insert my amount of time for the workout, I adjust my calories burned by what it reads on the machine. I'm going to continue doing it this way untill my heart rate monitor comes in (hopefull by tomorrow!!) :happy: