Question about going over carbs and fat and not having enoug

Options
2»

Replies

• BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I have a similar problem, keep going over on carbs, fat is under though, so is protein!!

Help!!! x
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Another good protein meal or snack is cottage cheese with Del Monte diced pears (pour the juice off) and mix the two. Buy a Protein powder at the health food store and make a shake and add 2 Tblsps of Greek Yogurt.
    mm gonna try this one soon, thanks! I love cottage cheese and canned pineapple (in its own juice) so I bet I'd love the one you mentioned and with the protein powder for a good punch!

What type of protein powder do most of you use? Any with whey? I guess I'm simply asking if a lower cost brand is as good as the name brands if all the nutrients are the same in the protein powder worlds. I just know I don't wanna anything with soy.

Also gonna try my hand at making my own Greek yogurt and cheeses, which is gonna be fun, save money and be something new to try. I do love Chobani but it does add up, especially now that I realize just how easy it would be to make my own.:tongue:

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

I was wondering the same about the protein powders and suplements. I also think they would help after workouts. I know nothing about whey and protein shakes and stuff. Anyone??
  • juliana1977
    Options
    Thank yu so much for all the ideas!!
    Well I am avoiding eggs (high cholesterol), I am using egg substitute or egg whites. The problem is than my morning are too short. i am always in a hurry trying to get ready and making sure my kids are ready too. So I literaly swallow a bowl of oatmeal with skim milk and cinnamon.
    I do eat a lot of all the protein you all said, but they always come with a little bit of fat on them... I am not eating enough protein, and I think know that I am working out my body is felling it. Today for example I am so tired that I only swam 600 yards in 30 minutes (I usually do 900 in 30min) and I am not going to do shred, just too tired.
    I think I will try some protein powder in my smoothie after working out. So if you guys have any recomendations let me know please!
  • juliana1977
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, very high in protein; and another new favorite I've discovered is quinoa, also very high in protein.

this is very true try adding yogurt with your oats in the morning

I love greek yogurt, I will try to do that once in a while. Maybe oats yogurt and some honey. I keep forgeting to buy quinoa to try it. how do you fix it?
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    These thoughts are a little random: :laugh:

Oats: I also make oatmeal with steel cut oats in the crockpot & then freeze it in half cup servings so I have it on hand.

Protein powder with whey: I'd gotten it a couple of years ago and started using it again in smoothies & then saw the amount of cholesterol in it & my cholesterol numbers were an issue. Since I couldn't get a definitive answer on whether it was good cholesterol or bad, I ended up pitching it based on my trainers advice.

Quinoa: I do some kind of odd things with it, :laugh: mainly because I use it for a quick 'just me' supper when my husband works late shift. Here goes: I mix it with some Trader Joe's salsa (that is like my 'go to' item in the cupboard) and a serving or two of veggies. Sort of an instant mini casserole. I also add it to a serving of soup to 'up' the protein. One of my favorite ways though is a Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf that I make. Yum!
  • juliana1977
    Options
    These thoughts are a little random: :laugh:

Oats: I also make oatmeal with steel cut oats in the crockpot & then freeze it in half cup servings so I have it on hand.

Protein powder with whey: I'd gotten it a couple of years ago and started using it again in smoothies & then saw the amount of cholesterol in it & my cholesterol numbers were an issue. Since I couldn't get a definitive answer on whether it was good cholesterol or bad, I ended up pitching it based on my trainers advice.

Quinoa: I do some kind of odd things with it, :laugh: mainly because I use it for a quick 'just me' supper when my husband works late shift. Here goes: I mix it with some Trader Joe's salsa (that is like my 'go to' item in the cupboard) and a serving or two of veggies. Sort of an instant mini casserole. I also add it to a serving of soup to 'up' the protein. One of my favorite ways though is a Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf that I make. Yum!

Thank you for your coments! I will definately try to find out about the cholesterol thing if I decide to use whey. I have cholesterol issues too...
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    You should be able to safely change your ratio to 50/25/20 with 20 being your fat percentage since it is healthy fats everything should still be in moderation. This is an unprofessional opinion of course but without knowing health issues 20% should still be okay.
  • Hansjs
    Hansjs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Though I don't think your numbers are bad anyway, if you want to up your protein, I highly recommend a fruit protein smoothy at whatever time you need a filling snack. Vanilla whey is a great smoothy mixer, and 1 scoop a day is not going to do anything to your cholesterol numbers. My go to snack every day is:

1 scoop whey protein
    about 1/2 cup frozen berries (any are good, i like either mixed or strawberries)
    4 oz non fat milk
    2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt (this is optional but make it creamier)

Blend until completely smooth (no chunks of berries)

should make 12-14oz and roughly 200 calories. (20g protein, 21g carbs including 2g fiber, 1g fat)

This keeps me full from about 2:30 till dinner.