How many calories needed to maintain?

Options
How many calories do I need to be eating in order to maintain the same body weight?

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Set your calories to maintain under goals!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Use the BMR under tools to figure out how many calories you need to maintain! You can also set your calories to maintain under goals!
    Ditto! :-D
  • cortne28
    Options
    ah! thank you.
    1200 seems like so much to me! but this will work. thanks so much <3
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Use the BMR under tools to figure out how many calories you need to maintain! You can also set your calories to maintain under goals!

This is actually incorrect. Your BMR is how many calories you would burn if you lied in bed all day and didn't move. That's not the same as your maintenance calories. In settings, when you set your goals, it will tell you what your maintenance calories are. You can also temporarily set your goal to "keep the same weight" and it will tell you there as well.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

This is actually incorrect. Your BMR is how many calories you would burn if you lied in bed all day and didn't move. That's not the same as your maintenance calories. In settings, when you set your goals, it will tell you what your maintenance calories are. You can also temporarily set your goal to "keep the same weight" and it will tell you there as well.

Yes you are right, you have to incorporate your "activity" to know exactly what to maintain. My BMR is 1600 ish and to maintain I need 2100.... so it IS more than your BMR.

Also, to maintain it should be WAY more that 1200. I am not sure where you got that number......
  • cortne28
    Options
    Well, I dont know. I still dont know how to figure it out then, hah.
    It says 1200 but I dont know.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    try this
    http://www.shapefit.com/bmr.html
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    If you are moderately active I get closer to 1900 calories/day. This is probably pretty close to maintain your weight healthily. If you are more active, eat more. If you sit on your butt all day... eat less.
  • cortne28
    Options
    If you are moderately active I get closer to 1900 calories/day. This is probably pretty close to maintain your weight healthily. If you are more active, eat more. If you sit on your butt all day... eat less.

geez almost 2000? ah. i suppose im moderately active. since im a teenager, im usually out partying, dancing moving or walking the mall of some sort, if not, im asleep in my room or working out. but thank you all!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

Read the thread I just posted: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/152264-bmr-vs-maintenance-calories
  • yogalotusadg
    Options
    the skinny ***** book series says that generally you add a zero for example if your trying to maintain 120 you should eat no less than 1200 cals, but that's with little to no activity the more active you are the more cals, so for moderate activity & 120lb maintenince becomes about 1500 give or take....
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    the skinny ***** book series says that generally you add a zero for example if your trying to maintain 120 you should eat no less than 1200 cals, but that's with little to no activity the more active you are the more cals, so for moderate activity & 120lb maintenince becomes about 1500 give or take....

mmm i don't know that that's correct. i'm 105 right now and maintaining at 1500. actually i could probably eat 1600 or 1700 and still maintain pretty well.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic because I used the link one person left about BMR and to maintain the weight I am now it tells me I would need 2328 so I used moderately active and then it said 2054 and right now daily allowance before exercising is 1940. Hmm I am puzzled.
  • cortne28
    Options

mmm i don't know that that's correct. i'm 105 right now and maintaining at 1500. actually i could probably eat 1600 or 1700 and still maintain pretty well.

yess thats what it seems! <3