Thrust Yourself Forward

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Next time you're at the gym, take a look around. How many machines do you see that work the quads? Tons, right? Then look for hamstring machines. Not as many, are there? Because there are only a few machines that isolate the hamstrings, many people believe they can't work this muscle group without some sophisticated piece of equipment. It's simply not true. Exercises like pelvic thrusts — done in the privacy of your own home — target the hamstrings as well as the glutes (that means your legs and butt!). Here's how to get started with this beginner move.
Pelvic Thrusts

Lie on your back in front of a bench or platform with your knees bent and your heels on the bench. Your legs should form a 90-degree angle with your knees directly above your hips, and your arms should rest on the floor at your side.
Exhale and press your heels down into the bench, lifting your hips off the floor as high as you can.
Squeeze your glutes as tight as you can for a beat, then lower back down to the floor and repeat.
To achieve the right form and avoid injury, keep your upper arms, shoulders, and neck on the floor throughout the exercise.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Next time you're at the gym, take a look around. How many machines do you see that work the quads? Tons, right? Then look for hamstring machines. Not as many, are there? Because there are only a few machines that isolate the hamstrings, many people believe they can't work this muscle group without some sophisticated piece of equipment. It's simply not true. Exercises like pelvic thrusts — done in the privacy of your own home — target the hamstrings as well as the glutes (that means your legs and butt!). Here's how to get started with this beginner move.
    Pelvic Thrusts

Lie on your back in front of a bench or platform with your knees bent and your heels on the bench. Your legs should form a 90-degree angle with your knees directly above your hips, and your arms should rest on the floor at your side.
    Exhale and press your heels down into the bench, lifting your hips off the floor as high as you can.
    Squeeze your glutes as tight as you can for a beat, then lower back down to the floor and repeat.
    To achieve the right form and avoid injury, keep your upper arms, shoulders, and neck on the floor throughout the exercise.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My fiance would get a good laugh out of that one! :laugh: I'll just have to do them when he's not home.. :bigsmile: Thanks for the tip!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    here's another good one if there is a stability ball around

http://www.sissel-online.com/exercise/sup_hamstring_crl_ft_exercise_ball.php
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok, ok....as much as I try, I cannot resist this (said in best William Shatner imitation!) must quote lyrics from Rocky Horror Show "Time Warp"!!!!

"It's just a jump to the left.

And then a step to the right.

With your hand on your hips.

You bring your knees in tight.
    But it's the pelvic thrust. They really drive you insane.

Let's do the Time Warp again!!"

Oh yeah, gotta love Rocky!

party0031.gif
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yea.... Um I think I kind of do this exercise alot when Im home with my fiance, although a little different technique. She perfers, oh I mean I perfer this one position I get a really good burn out of. Oh crap disregard I think I've already said too much:blushing:

Good Idea, I can contest to the pelvis thrust being a great workout for your thighs and butt, and hamstrings and after awhile it can really take it out of you!
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Shorerider - Now I'm going to be singing that all day!!
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Okay, that looks like it would work, but I might kill myself trying to do it!!!! :laugh:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Okay, that looks like it would work, but I might kill myself trying to do it!!!! :laugh:

it's really not that bad. The farther you put your arms out, the more stable you'll be.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    "It's just a step to jump to the left"!