What can i use to replace Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    AGAVE, it can be found at most grocery stores and warehouse stores. It has 60 calories per TBL, 16g carbs and 16g sugar and is 25% sweeter than sugar. Has a low glycemic burn so does not affect your blood sugar. Look it up in the internet, it is the rave right now as a true sweetner not artificial sweetner.

There's been a lot of research out there lately concluding that this was no better than table sugar because it's soo concentrated with fructose, even more than high fructose corn syrup.

Here's just ONE article on this, there are TONS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html

I personally use Truvia or honey.
  • TheBun
    TheBun Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I use to drink tea unsweetened, and I can do without coffee. But even if I don't take any sugar in a day, the amount of sugar in my diet is still quite enormous. For example, today, I already took 59g of sugar instead of 24. :///
    There is sugar in almost everything : muesli, fruit, industrially processed cannelloni (Weight Watchers products), yoghurt. ... By noon, I had already taken my daily portion of sugar ...

I don't want to use chemicals to sweeten my meals. And anyway, you can't replace sugar in fruit or plain yoghurt with aspartam lol.

How do you reduce your sugar intake ?
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My husband bought a stevia plant this year. I don't use sweetener at all, but my husband loves it. He uses Agave too.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Stevia!

I agree with her! It's what I've used in my coffee my tea on strawberries...everything! Love it!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    AGAVE, it can be found at most grocery stores and warehouse stores. It has 60 calories per TBL, 16g carbs and 16g sugar and is 25% sweeter than sugar. Has a low glycemic burn so does not affect your blood sugar. Look it up in the internet, it is the rave right now as a true sweetner not artificial sweetner.

Most Agave nectar and honey found in Main stream grocery stores has HFCS added to it to make it cheaper. It is not as healthy as you think it is.

Truvia and Purvia are not healthy forms of Stevia also. One of these is manufactured by Coca-Cola and the other one is made by Pepsi-Cola Companies. Neither one of these products are PURE forms of Stevia.

That right there should tell you how healthy it is.

If you are going to use Stevia, Agave Nectar, honey - It is in YOUR best health interest to purchase it from a natural food store or a health food store that only gets natural made products, not massed produced stuff owned by big corporations that are twisting what is healthy.

Good rule of thumb for things like this: if you can find it in Wal-mart, Kroger or stores like these, then it is more than likely not the most healthy option.

Sweet Leaf Stevia is GREAT!!