Confused Cardio Calorie Burn Question

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I hope this will make sense!

I am really confused. I keep hearing how a few minutes short burst of something high intensity is ment to burn more calories than like 1 hour of aerobic exercise. But how does this work? As far as logging goes, it does not show that I would burn anymore - any my HRM also does not show I have burned more.

I hope it reads right - I am struggling putting it into words lol!

Jaycee x

Replies

• as far as I understand. apparently you burn more AFTERwards. not just during.

i was told the other day that weights / strength training actually burns for up to 72 hours after. cardio is for 24 hours after, and anything else is a shorter burn.

that's how i understand it to be. :)
  • jaycee76
    as far as I understand. apparently you burn more AFTERwards. not just during.

i was told the other day that weights / strength training actually burns for up to 72 hours after. cardio is for 24 hours after, and anything else is a shorter burn.

that's how i understand it to be. :)

How do you eat back what you do not know you have burned though? I am always getting told to eat the calories but how can you?
  • you can never eat back all of them. nothing is accurate. it's all just a "round about" figure.

I wouldn't stress about it. Just eat when you are hungry and to avoid the mythical "starvation mode".
  • jaycee76
    Thanks. I am not so worried about the starving as the extra calories I can eat LOL! If I clock up 1 hour at zumba I get to eat 450 ish extra calories. But I don't get that if I do 5 minutes running on the spot even though they say it burns the same iygwim. Sorry I am probably thinking with my stomach on this one lol xx
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    HIIT is high interval intensity training. I have incorporated it in the last 6 weeks of my workout. Basically you do a 5 minute warm up and make sure you get a good stretc in before you start. You then run 30 seconds as fast and as hard as you physically can go for 90% of your target heart rate. I mean when that 30 seconds is done you need to be breathing hard and have nothing left to do another second. Then you do a cool down I suggest you do a light jog for 1 minute. Then start the process all over again. Make sure you do at least 5 sprints the first session. I usually do steady cardio for 20 minutes afterwards and then a 5 minute cool down. I only loss 1 pound in the first 3 weeks but those same 3 weeks I knotched 3 loops on my belt. Just this last week I dropped 4 pounds and it really is a new way to shock the body. If you type HIIT training in on google it will give you a ton of info. Make sure to start slow and add me as a friend so I know how its going or if you need help.
This discussion has been closed.