Depression & Obesity- My Story

Options
I started suffering depression at around age 13 and gained about 20 lbs. in 8th grade I weighed about 135 but for my frame that was not a good thing. In high school I weighed about 145 and was only about 4 ft 10. Between my junior & senor year I was about 150. I had overheard a conversation about me being too fat so I started going to the pool that summer and started taking diet pills and chasing them with slim fast and lost down to 115. Drastic I know. But I felt great and that was all that mattered. I started to actually date then and met who I thought was the love of my life. I slowly started gain again and got up to 120-125. Not bad I thought. My measurements were a perfect 36-24-36. Well I dated the boy for 2 years and thought that he was "the one". When he went off to collage things were fine for a little while, but I was at a different collage and ended up breaking up. Then I was severly depressed and gained up to about 145-150. After that my self-esteem was shot. I ended up dating one bum after another. Gained up to 180 by that point. Then met my husband. I was back to wonderfull again and dropped back down to about 160. Then we decided we wanted children so I lost down to about 150 and got pregnant. Boy did I gain weight. Right before before I delivered I was 200lbs. After the baby was born I lost back down to 165. Well. I had what we thought was a bad case of post partum depression and ended up being diagnosed bi-polar w/ anxiety disorder. Started on several medications and balooned up to 230. I know...WOW that was bad. So I have been severly overweight for 7 years now. But now i'm clinically stable. And my daughter started making comments like "mom, did you know you were fat?" I felt awfull and felt like I embarrassed her. She is now showing signs of of worry because she is afraid of getting fat like mommy. She even checks food labels and will only drink skim milk. I then decided I HAD to do something. So here I am. So far I have lost 6lbs since I started on My Fitness Pal 12-26-10 and now have hope again. I CAN & WILL do this!!!! I also need all the friends I can get, so, please add me if you like. I need LOTS of support. I get support at home but need outsiders for different perspectives and accountability.

Replies

• mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good for ou girl! welcome, you can do it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Well done on your loss so far, and good luck for the future. You are in a great place to gain information and I am sure you will get lot of support, encouragement, help and advice from the myfitnesspalers!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    you can do this i will be here to support you, i will add you as a friend :)
  • fattyellis
    Options
    Hi

You have come to the right place...lots of helpful tips and advice..good luck with your weight loss journey :smile:
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the site - lets hope we can all support each other on our journies to a healthier lifestyle

Steve
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi, keep going strong, you are doing great. If you'd like to add me for motivation I am glad to motivate.
  • jenny19711
    jenny19711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and take it meal by meal. Don't think of how much you have to lose, just remember it's for life so enjoy the journey and learn new things along the way. For me, I'm starting to realize after so much failure, that I can either keep the vicious cyle that my grandmother, aunts and mother have been on with losing weight, or I can finally take control of my life (through God's help) and show my daughter were not "cursed" with "bad" genes and that's just how it is. It's about moving my body, making healthy choices that make me feel good physically and emotionally. I won't let bad food habits and not exercising hold me back any longer. Stay strong! Do it for yourself, your marriage, and your child.
  • oneof9
    oneof9 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good luck. This is a great place to get encouragement. Don't give up.
  • christydufrene78
    Options
    Hi girl, First of all thanks for sharing your story with us. I would be more than happy to be your friend. We have so much in common its unreal. As I was reading, it was like reading my own blog! You can do it! First for you, then most of all your child. We can give our kids cells, expensive clothes, jewery, cars, outings every weekend, BUT R WE GIVING OUR KIDS WHAT THEY REALLY NEED!! A HEALTHY LIFE (BEST GIFT IN THE WORLD)
    Thanks
  • krazymyra
    Options
    Im here for you girlie! your already doing a great job. just keep focused and you will be where you want. :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    We all have our own story and our own reasons for losing weight. Thanks for sharing yours. Just remember you're not alone, here, you're in the company of people who know what it's like.

One step at a time!