Circuit Training

Options
Okay so i've heard many people talk about it on here, but I have no idea what it is, anyone care to explain?? Thankyou :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Okay so i've heard many people talk about it on here, but I have no idea what it is, anyone care to explain?? Thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    The general idea is to combine cardio with strength training.

Traditionally when strength training you rest between sets of weight lifting to give your muscles a chance to recover. So part of a weight training program would be to do three sets of 10-12 at the bench press with a 30 second to 1 minute rest between each set. After that you'd move on to your next excercise and continue with the three sets per excercise with the rest between sets.

However, this does not give you a sustained raised heart rate.

In circuit training you do one set of each excercise with no rest between excercises. And you'd typically work different muscle groups for each excercise to allow muscles to recover and could even throw in an excercise bike between lifts. Now you've sustained a raised heart rate while doing strength training.

If you wanted to do more sets of each excercise then you'd start the whole circuit over and do it all a 2nd time.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Like at work we will have the following (ie of a circuit workout)

as much as you can in 2 minutes at each station

-pushups
    - situps
    -squats
    -planks
    -sprints
    -frog jumps
    -burpees

and we will usually do two rounds before we run

GREAT WORKOUT IMO