Recommend a good book

Options
I am going on vacation next month and the one thing I always looking forward to is reading a good book. On a ten day vacation I'll read 2-3 books. Have you read anything good? What did you like about it?

Replies

• Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Depends on what genre you like (action with smut, archeology mysteries, a good horror, a nice period romance) I could have recommendations for any...I am an avid reader with a home library approaching 800 books:blushing: , this is my weakness!!!
  • midgetrapper
    midgetrapper Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the total money makeover by dave ramsey you can get it at www.daveramsey.com
  • denise309
    Options
    I am an avid reader...although that has been interrupted with working out and counting calories LOL

My favorite book is: The Kite Runner...AMAZING!!!!
    The Help...was OK most LOVED it
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas... GREAT book
    Loving Frank: A Novel
    I also LOVED the Twilight series
    Also Most by Jodi Picoult

Hope this helps
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Authors I like. Robert McGammon, Andrew Vaachs, Lee Child, Robert Crais

My wife likes Robert Crais, Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman.

We both just finished James Paterson's "Women's Murder Club" Novels. I think #1 thru #8 are out in paperback.

Not knowing what your tastes run towards, it's hard to suggest a book. All the above have great skills and recurring protagonists that you will like. Except Vaachs. He's very dark. All these authors will be in your local used book store.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    the total money makeover by dave ramsey you can get it at www.daveramsey.com

Read it. Attended the classes. Followed the concept to become debt free several years ago, but seriously would not recommend while relaxing on vacation.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation next month and the one thing I always looking forward to is reading a good book. On a ten day vacation I'll read 2-3 books. Have you read anything good? What did you like about it?
    Here's a great thread Steph started before her surgery to get book ideas so along with this current thread you started and this link below I bet you'll find many of interest!

Enjoy your time away:flowerforyou: and of course your book browsing!:wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/138550-looking-for-a-good-book-to-read?hl=good+books
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Authors I like. Robert McGammon, Andrew Vaachs, Lee Child, Robert Crais

My wife likes Robert Crais, Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman.

We both just finished James Paterson's "Women's Murder Club" Novels. I think #1 thru #8 are out in paperback.

Not knowing what your tastes run towards, it's hard to suggest a book. All the above have great skills and recurring protagonists that you will like. Except Vaachs. He's very dark. All these authors will be in your local used book store.
    Thanks :) I love the Kellermans so good reminder to me! Also want to start on the 'Women's Murder Club' Novels.
    I so love when book threads pop up, always get reminded of my favorite authors that I've set aside for a bit and new ones as well from suggestions!

Thanks Mike!:wink::flowerforyou:
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I absolutely love historical romances! One of the best series I ever read was the Series about the beginnings of our wonderful country..by John Jakes, the first book is The *kitten*. It follows one family line from a *kitten* birth in England to his part in the beginnings of the American revolution. The family series continues through the Civil War. You can probably get the whole series on eBay at a good price. I read the entire series during one summer:)
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I guess I should've clarified my taste-no vampires, nothing like Nicholas Sparks that will make me cry at the end (I don't mind touching stories of personal strength and survival, just no mushy romance). I like historical fiction I guess, feel good non-fiction. I like books set in other places/periods. I also like a good mystery.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Thanks :) I love the Kellermans so good reminder to me! Also want to start on the 'Women's Murder Club' Novels.
    I so love when book threads pop up, always get reminded of my favorite authors that I've set aside for a bit and new ones as well from suggestions!

Thanks Mike!:wink::flowerforyou:

My wife and I, along with our daughters are avid readers. I go through at least 2 a week and Jan goes through 1 or 2. We both go back and forth about authors. She brings a lot of books home from her work for me to read. I have a hard time with women authors. Don't shoot me! Not being a chauvinist. It's just the perspective. Men and women think differently. We both love the Kellermans. If you like them, Becca, thry Robert Crais and John Sandford. Both have strong recurring characters like the Kellerman books. Robert Crais has a series with the characters Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. They are my wife's favorites.
  • abalina
    abalina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    anything by Anne Rice is amazing!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki! Here are some of the best that I've read with genre descriptions attached:

1. 'Drowning Ruth' by Christina Schwarz
    This is a drama/mystery set in the 1920's. Extremely good with the most satisfying ending ever!

2. 'And Then There Were None' by Agatha Christie
    A period murder mystery set in England. Extremely good as well.

3. 'Sleeping Murder' by Agatha Christie
    Another period murder set in England. Excellent!
  • marianrandall
    marianrandall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For all those looking to make a change in their life, health and wealth ....... The slight edge by jeff olsen ..... read it and re-read it again and again !
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump to catch up on this later today:flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. The wife and I demolish a lot of books. But we're morally opposed to owning books in most cases...that's what the library is for.

I'm pretty eclectic in my reading. A lot of westerns: Louis L'Amour, William Johnstone, and JA Johnstone. Spy/suspence novels: Lee Child, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Jack Higgins, Dale Brown etc. Gen Fiction: Harlan Coben, Dean Koontz, Nelson DeMille, and of course John Grisham..I have read everything he has written.
  • mariamxo
    Options
    Anything by Ellen Hopkins, she's such a lovely writer and her books are just amazing. I can't even choose a favorite they're all so good, definitely look into her!
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Any of Harlen Cobens books, his books are fanastic. Crime Thrillers would best describe. Has anyone read his books? You literally cannot put them down. I also absolutely love Jackie Collins if you fancy a light-hearted, fun read. Shes's not to everyones tastes i know but personally I love her books.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Any of Harlen Cobens books, his books are fanastic. Crime Thrillers would best describe. Has anyone read his books? You literally cannot put them down. I also absolutely love Jackie Collins if you fancy a light-hearted, fun read. Shes's not to everyones tastes i know but personally I love her books.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Ooooops just posted twice and wont let me delete one!
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I am an absolute passionate reader. I especially love Karen Rose (romance-thriller)