7000 calories burned in one day! Yikes!

Options
2»

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that contestant of the BL Show are monitored under Doctors and exercise anywhere from 8-12 hours a day. It is not ideal, and should not be tried outside of supervision. As well many of the contestant leave the show and go back to their normal lifestyle where they can only exercise 1-2 hours a day and GAIN their weight back. I would discourage from trying to compare yourself to those on the show. Remember they have NOTHING else to do all day but exercise... so they are going to burn more calories... it has nothing to do with the HRM they are wearing or normal daily activities... they are training to be able to exercise for LONG periods of time... which is not an ideal everyday situation.

An Average of 2lbs a week for women and 3lbs per week for men is the MAXIUMUM you shoud LOSE and BE HEALTHY! Anymore that that and you are losing unhealthy weight and could cause problems in the future.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    This is why I do not like this show... it makes people think well if they can do it so can I.... Granted you can do it! but not in the short period of time they are showing on the show... it takes TIME, PATIENCE, and a HEATLHY EXERCISE AND DIET! ... Moderation is the key here.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my bodybugg and it isn't much more expensive than a good heart rate monitor. I paid 150 for a V3. I think its a necessary rule if you believe that calories in vs calories out is what matters. It tells you the calories out and if you combine that with a food scale, your golden.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have my bodybugg for sale on ebay this week for half of what I paid for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170589021909&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Stop by and check it out.

Shannon

Why are you selling?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Let's not get too carried away on the numbers. I'm a big dude, my maintenaince Kcal are 2800. If I mowed the lawn, walked 18 holes of golf on my favorite course that's 7500 yards with hills, and swam for 2 hours afterwards...I could get close to 7000 Kcal. I'd be tired, but I wouldn't be drop dead tired. Notice none of that is close to High Intensity anything.

It's more about perception and reference.

I highly recomend an HRM for work outs. However, if you have limited recourses and need a really effective gadget. Buy a food scale first. You can't out excersise a bad diet.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    7000 calories is probably possible for most of us to do. I've done about 3000 calories in about 4 .5 hours of hiking... but it would take a solid day of heavy exercise. For instance, when pro swimmers attempt to swim the English Channel they actually build up excess bodyfat for the journey. I saw a special on discovery health explaining that the average swimmer loses 14 pounds of fat from the trip. 14x3500=49000 kCal.

As mentioned, the heavier you are the more energy your body requires. Then on top of that, you need more energy to move it.
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's a body bugg.

I got one last Thanksgiving. On a normal day, with a one hour workout and lots of time at a desk, I burn 2800 Calories (kcal).

They are helpful to see how you're doing in a day, or even during a workout to check burn. Somehow, sometimes my heart rate is high during spin class but the body bugg is showing less effort than I expect.

I'm still getting used to it. I can tell you that it's not a silver bullet. I've had a 500 Cal or so deficit each day for the past month and my weight hasn't moved (based on body bugg burn versus myfitnesspal calorie intake). I'm hoping I'll slide off this plateau soon.

However, as others have also said - watching what you eat is most important. I read on a running site that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I don't think they can really be that accurate, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I like my body bugg. It's helped motivate me to put in a bit more housework or whatever to get my burn level for the day. But for some reason, the pounds are being a bit stubborn.

You seem to be doing fantastically with your current program - and the weight keeps coming off. Congratulations on all your acheivements. I don't think you need a $200 gadget when your program is already working.
  • The body bugs aren't worth all that. Just get a Polar HRM and keep track of your food intake like you are already doing.

I have a Body Bugg and love it, wouldn't trade it for any other type of calorie burning monitor
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    wow quite a mixed review. The FT7 Polar HRM is $109? Body Bugg is $149? so not much of a price difference. I see that the darn thing has a monthly fee. I'm really getting tired of all the addons the health industry tries to tack on.