Giving Blood later, still workout??

Options
So later after work today I have an appointment with the red cross to donate some blood. I dont want to miss a workout day and know that I should probably avoid strength training. My question is this; should i just stick to some running and other types of cardio? In what way should I take it easy after this?

thanks guys!!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Working out before giving is fine, but you should take it easy for a few hours afterward.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Depending on the time of your appointment, you shouldn't even do that: For someone who works out regularly (like you), you should wait at least 5 hours before even low intensity exercise and 2 days to go back to regular exercise. After that, you should be fine, but if you are dizzy, stop your workout immediately. Your body is telling you that you need more rest.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I happen to work in the blood product collection industry. I can tell you that you need to hydrate very well prior to donation as well as after. If you are giving whole blood, I would not work out afterwards and would gve it at least 24 hours prior to any rigorous activity. If you wanted to take an easy walk that would probably be fine or a Yoga video that you could just stop if you felt dizzy. If you are giving plasma, just hydrate well before and after and any workout should be fine. Blood takes 8 weeks (56 days) to regenerate what you have donated, plasma 24 hours. But the absence of these cells will not hurt you as they are reserve and perfectly safe. You do however want to give your body time to adjust to the new red cell levels if you are donating whole blood. As stated so wisely in the previous post, just listen to your body. It will tell you what it can handle and what is too much. Hope that helps. And as cheesy as it sounds, thanks for taking the time to think of others through donation.
  • flossicle
    Options
    I give blood regularly and i give the workouts a miss afterwards, i leave it till the day after, i dunno about anyone else but i feel quite tired and listless after but it's for a good cause, so worth it but i really would advise against anything strenuous till the day after!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I happen to work in the blood product collection industry. I can tell you that you need to hydrate very well prior to donation as well as after. If you are giving whole blood, I would not work out afterwards and would gve it at least 24 hours prior to any rigorous activity. If you wanted to take an easy walk that would probably be fine or a Yoga video that you could just stop if you felt dizzy.

Wow, a real life vampire huh? well they DO seem to be all the rage these days. J/K.
    Thanks for the notes. You dont have to worry about me hydrating. I dubbed myself "Aquagirl" the other day and for the past two weeks have been drinking 12-14 8oz glasses of water everyday.

I will definitely heed everyones warning and see how my body is feeling after a few hours. Appreciate the help!