oils

Options
Ok, I need a few lessons about oil. I can never remember which is better for you, olive oil or vegetable oil. And what is virgin and extra virgin....sorry I am a retard about oil, all I know is I like to cook with whatever it is that is in the bottle in the kitchen (original bottle got thrown away and I keep it in one of those fancy ones from BB &B). lastly, what is flaxseed oil? I've heard a few people talking about it, do you cook with it in the same way as the other oils, and why would you use it instead of olive or vegetable?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ok, I need a few lessons about oil. I can never remember which is better for you, olive oil or vegetable oil. And what is virgin and extra virgin....sorry I am a retard about oil, all I know is I like to cook with whatever it is that is in the bottle in the kitchen (original bottle got thrown away and I keep it in one of those fancy ones from BB &B). lastly, what is flaxseed oil? I've heard a few people talking about it, do you cook with it in the same way as the other oils, and why would you use it instead of olive or vegetable?
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    No vegetable oil!!! Haha!!!

Olive Oil is much better for you! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry... I never knew much about oils until I decided I needed to be healthy! haha!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    olive oil. also, when pan-frying meat you really dont need to use oil. I use a non-stick pan and a little water.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    olive oil.

extra virgin is more expensive and unless you're a bona fide cook, don't worry about it :p

you really only need a tad and IMO can make even spinach taste YUMMY!!

it's also better for you.

also, IMO pepper + olive oil is a union of blessed love.

flaxseed oil is more like a supplement.

hope that helps.

veggie oil is used more for baking, but even that can be subbed in sub recipes.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    olive oil. also, when pan-frying meat you really dont need to use oil. I use a non-stick pan and a little water.

Lol, in order to do that I'll need some better pans...mine are kinda nasty. Though I am trying to hold off on replacing housewares and such right now since registering for bridal gifts shouldn't be TOO far off in my future :love:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is the way to go. My understanding from what I've read is that "Extra Light Olive Oil" is nothing special. It can be used for cooking along with regular and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Extra virgin is the tastiest. If you're just cooking you probably won't notice a huge difference so I tend to stick with regular olive oil to save money. If you are dipping bread or using it in a mix, like hummus or pesto EVOO can make all the difference in taste. :)
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed oil too, just don't heat it; is great in salad dressings and full of good things for you... (check out the belly flattening foods post)

sorry, just read the whole post. It's just oil squeezed out of flaxseeds, which are good for you too. I put flaxseed meal in muffins.