Calories Burned during Chores

usmcpatience
usmcpatience Posts: 168
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I've read from multiple sources (magazines, books, etc.) that one actually burns calories during many household chores. I've read that x amount of calories are burned if you sweep for three hours, etc.

I have a Siberian Husky and sweep my entire house EVERYDAY! I'd love to include these calories burned, but I don't want to cheat either.

Should I include these calories burned in my exercise log? If so, why doesn't MFP have them in their database?

Replies

• Loki182
    Loki182 Posts: 31
    It's in there i's just not broken down to what specific chore you are doing. They have "Cleaning, light, moderate effort" and "Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort".
  • That absolutely counts as exercise! And I'm pretty sure it's in the database, something like "household chores" or "housework", with options of light/moderate/heavy exertion.
  • I include all of my cleaning when I really clean! It's under excercises :) I usually use the "cleaning, light moderate effort" that way I don't give myself too many extra calories. Hope this helps!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    By all means use those calories.
    Every bit helps. :drinker:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    If it is something you do everyday that does not require a lot of energy I would not add it. If it actually seems to make you break a sweat or if you are feeling it in your muscles then go for it. As far as being in the database, MFP has house cleaning in there. You could log it as that. But any site can't have every single possible way to burn cals in their database. There's just too many ways. Invest in a HRM to know more accurately what you are burning. Then create your own exercise in the exercise diary.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    You actually burn calories 24x7. Even sitting at your desk working and while you are sleeping (which is why good proper sleep is great for losing weight..

If you have the means, invest in a KiFit (BodyBugg in the US). It's a little device you wear on your left arm. It monitors all kinds of things, and works out how many calories you've burned etc. I wear mine 24x7 with the exception of shower\bath\swimming, and burn around 3100 calories per day.
  • As long as you didn't include that as part of your activity level when you filled in your profile, you can include cleaning as exrcise.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Thanks for the post.....I never add my cleaning and it seems like I do alot being a mother of 4 boys. I do put on a pedometer and wear it almost all day around the house except during my workouts and add that.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I wouldn't add it. It's part of your TDEE (total daily activity expenditure) and already included in your calories based on whether you selected sedentary, lightly active, active, etc. as your activity factor. The only types of exercises that should be added, in my opinion, are things done solely (or mainly) for the exercise aspect - ie: running, elliptical, swimming laps, etc.)
  • Ya it is calories you burned doing work every little bit counts
This discussion has been closed.