Tips for 'becoming a runner'?

Options
I've never been a runner. Even in high school I was a pro at manipulating my gym teacher to let me out of running the mile. I have decided I want to become a runner. I would like to run a marathon in my lifetime. Since I am not even sure I could hammer out a mile at this point, I'm starting from scratch. Does anyone have any tips for becoming a runner?

I have a treadmill in my basement. I (obviously) also have a ton of pavement all around me. I'd like to start on the treadmill. I've also just purchased a recumbent bike. It doesn't burn as much calories in the same amount of time, but I'm feeling it in my legs and can't help but wonder if the muscles I'm toning on the bike (which I do more often because it's in my living room and in front of the tv) will help me when I hit the treadmill. I've got the Nike+ shoes and sensor. I feel eqipped and ready to go. Except, I have no idea how to begin! Help!

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    First you should try training for a 5k race in your area (3.1 miles). There is a great program C25k (couch to 5k) that can help you out. Just google it. Also, make sure you have good shoes, this will prevent knee pain later... trust me! Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tammytomandgirls
    tammytomandgirls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look up the couch to 5k running plan :) Its a great way to start
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, wow, you're fast!
  • craigdean
    Options
    If you also have a device that will let you use the Nike+ sensor then I would suggest using Nike+ to set up a 5k training program. Nike does a good job with a training plan and they offer plenty of encouragement. I am towards the end of the 10k training and it has been fantastic.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree, the Couch to 5K is fabulous and there are free podcasts on iTunes with music and everything.

But - beware! Running quickly becomes an addiction...and a mighty fine one to have! I get cranky if I don't run at least three times a week.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    honeslty..you just get out there and try to get it done. Get on the treadmill and see how far you can go. Aim for 1 mile at a slow jog,,Have a goal in mind when you step on. Like today I am going to get 2 miles done..Then just try and run 2 miles...If you have to walk thats OK. Then the next time go for it again. You will wallk more then run and thats OK..
    The C25K is a great program as well
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I used this. I was also like you, always got out of running the mile, and started using this, and could have ran in a 5K but my kids got sick, but I was running the 3 miles, and it FEELS amazing!! Best of luck!!
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    C25K running plan:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Good, supportive group on FB:
    http://www.facebook.com/C25Kplan

there's also a good app for ipod/iphone and probably other devices too under C25k

It's a great plan to get you into running slowly and without injury. Good luck and have fun!
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    I started C25K about 3 weeks ago and love it. I never thought i could run, but this program has changed my mind. I agree about good shoes. I have a pair that I thought was going to be great, but I've had problems and am going to get fitted for some running shoes soon. Good luck to you!!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The C25K plan is awesome, I just started it last night and already I know great things are going to happen with it. When I first started reasearching this I was given some awesome sites to check out, first one is cool runnings http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml creators of the C25K plan also check out Carli with Running into Shape http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ she created podcasts for each week with music and when to run, walk and cool down. You can dowload these and just add them to your ipod.

Good Luck with your training and feel free to add me as a friend.
    Kendra
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the kind of addiction I'm hoping for!
    I agree, the Couch to 5K is fabulous and there are free podcasts on iTunes with music and everything.

But - beware! Running quickly becomes an addiction...and a mighty fine one to have! I get cranky if I don't run at least three times a week.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Have you used the Nike Sensor yet? I contemplated buying the sensor and Nike's at Christmas, but I wasn't sure how accurate the device really was. I tend to jog and run with varied pace and I've heard that the sensor can be less accurate when your pace varies.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The Nike+ sensor can be all over the place. I used mine for about 150 miles of running / walking until I got fed up with its inaccuracies and lovely ability to freeze my iPhone mid-run.

So...

If you have an iPhone or smartphone, get the RunKeeper app. The full version - not the "lite" - it will cost a bit of $$$, but it's fantastic. It actually tracks your activities via GPS. I've tested its accuracy and it's dead on. Pacing is fantastic on it. Doesn't kill the battery - even after leaving it on for several hours during a run. Not sure what I'd do right now without it for my training.
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The Nike+ sensor can be all over the place. I used mine for about 150 miles of running / walking until I got fed up with its inaccuracies and lovely ability to freeze my iPhone mid-run.

So...

If you have an iPhone or smartphone, get the RunKeeper app. The full version - not the "lite" - it will cost a bit of $$$, but it's fantastic. It actually tracks your activities via GPS. I've tested its accuracy and it's dead on. Pacing is fantastic on it. Doesn't kill the battery - even after leaving it on for several hours during a run. Not sure what I'd do right now without it for my training.

Runkeeper pro is actually free right now and I think until the end of this month. If anyone is looking for an Iphone app to run with, this one is great. Very accurate and I love the audible cues it will give you during your run. That way, i know if I'm going too fast or slow to keep with my goal pace.

I'm also new to running. Never ever ran a mile in my life growing up. Didn't like running and asthma would be a problem. I started running from scratch and barely made it down the street without stopping. So I'm kinda starting like you are.

Don't worry about all the trackers and sensors for now. I think the key will be to get cardiovascularly fit. Get out and get your heart pumping. (Well, if you're up north, then treadmill is probably the way to go i suppose. here in houston, it's almost never so cold that you can't run.) Anyway, whether that's a brisk walk or a jog, no matter. Set yourself a bseline and shoot to improve slightly everytime you exercise. You'll see improvements as your heatlh improves.

I'm by no means an expert. I've only worked up to a little over 2 miles, but that's a far cry form the wheezing and panting guy who was spent after running down the block. That's my advice from my humble experience.