Water weight Gain

Options
I seem to vary back and forth of about 5-9 lbs sometimes overnight. its driving me crazy?
Any tips or ideas ? Its hard for me to get a real weight to see my progress.

Replies

• BriannaSkye
    Options
    Id try and watch your sodium intake and see if that helps stabalize your weight
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    drinking lots of water helps flush it out of your system and keep you from retaining it. Weight fluctuation is completely normal. I bought a digital scale over the weekend and kept stepping on it to check (it was the evening). I stepped on it 3 times in an hour and got 3 different numbers. My weight jumped 1 1/2 pounds in under an hour.

Try not to focus on the numbers on the scale. Focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Best time to weigh is in the morning when you wake up after you go to the bathroom and naked. You will get a true weight.

And - yes be careful with sodium - that will make you retain also.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me! Just focus on a moving average and maybe not weight quite so often. Either weigh every day (lots of people will disagree with this) and keep track of your moving average or weight just once every week or two. I had a great program that would track your average but you could probably do this easily with a simple microsoft excel program. I did this when I started my journey of losing more than 100 pounds and it really helped me and I didn't worry so much about the daily weights.

I just googled it and there are probably several free downloads or templates out there to help you do this! I think I may start doing that again!
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping an eye on your salt intake? Sodium can completely wreak havoc with your system and easily add pounds overnight due to water retention.

Either that or it's time to get new scales! :smile:

It's hard to tell whether you are at your 'real weight' at any particular point, because there are so many factors at play...But if you've been reporting your calories in/calories out accurately, and take into account that you may also be building muscle, you must be losing weight steadily! :smile:

Good luck!
  • tsb50158
    tsb50158 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have started drinking a lot more water, but this is a problem I have had for years, Doctor gave me a water pills a couple of years back, I lost 16 lbs over night! Wow talk about water retaining lol. i dont use a lot of salt but I need to watch more in what foods I do eat. Thanks for all the input!