Inexpensive Heart Rate Monitor That Actually Works?

DawniesLife
DawniesLife Posts: 157
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I have been looking into purchasing a heart rate monitor. But when I look at their prices I cringe, because I know that I can't really afford to spend that kind of money on a really nice one. But I don't want to waste money on one that is going to quit working in a week or never work properly in the first place. If anyone can suggest some middle of the line priced HRM's or even lower priced ones that would actually be WORTH the money until I can buy a fancy higher tech one it would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone wants to send me their old one because they bought a new one and they are rich, feel free (joking). ;) But in all seriousness, suggestions anyone? Links with suggestions are even more so appreciated! Thanks for everyones continued help and support! :)

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    I have no advice, I am in the same boat as you, I would love suggestions!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    You can do a google search for best HRM for under $100 I did. Didn't get the one I want yetbut saving my pennies towards it.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    DO NOT buy the one at Walmart. It doesn't work.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Not sure what price point you are looking at....I have the Polar FT4 and love it. It has a chest strap, so it is more accurate. I think with this type of item, you are going to get what you pay for so be careful. I know they can get very pricey, the Bodybugg is expensive, expecially if you get the watch to go with it. I have seen other posts where people really like the FT4 as well. I have also heard the Garmin is a good one. I know my FT4 was purchased at ****s for $89.00.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I don't know what retail was for my Polar FT-7 with the chest strap, but I got mine on Ebay for about $120 including shipping. It is a very popular model and works well. I find it accurate.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I am waiting for my FT7 Polar to come in the mail. the reviews were amazing, i'm hopeful for it. The cost was about $86.00 USD. I chose this more expensive model because it not only shows my heart rate, but can track my activities and show calories burned (i'm very interested in that part)

If you need only heart rate, to find your zone, then there are some around for $40-$60 that are great quality but only offer heart rate tracking.

I'm not sure how inexpensive you need, I know budgets get rough, but I feel like if you really want one of these, take a look at reviews (I use amazon and whatever google brings up) and save up for the one you like best. Going with a cheap $15 one will likely stop working soon, or never work in the first place.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    my husband got me a Polar one for Christmas - it was $89 or $99 at a sporting goods store..... it works wonderful! Polar 7.4 I think ...... =)
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    I got my polar ft7 off of amazon for under $90 brand new. If you shop around amazon,the prices change, so you can get the best deal! :) I would definitely recommend one with a chest strap, and if all you can afford is a really cheap one---then i say save up your money until you can afford a decent one! My polar is AMAZING...love it, and hate working out without it now :)
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    I bought a PolarFT4 last week and it is awesome! It cost me £60, I dont know if that is maybe still too expensive, I used my Christmas money :D. I also thought it was reasonable for such a well known and trusted brand of HRM.

I got mine from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0707482/Trail/searchtext>HEART+RATE+MONITOR.htm

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on when you start using one! Im completely addicted to mine, I'm so glad I bought it.

E
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    If you dont spend the money and get a decent one you are just wasting your time

Most nice polar's can be bought from $75-100....

This item is something that you do not want to buy a cheap version of
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    My hubby got me the Polar FT4 for Christmas on Ebay and I think he paid around $55 - 60 for it. I love it! It tells me how long I worked out, how long I was in my target heart range, my average heart rate while working out, calories burned, etc. The chest strap is really comfy.....so much so that sometimes I forget I'm wearing it!

Good luck!
  • I just bought a Polar FT4 with chest strap off Ebay for $49.99, plus shipping cost me $56.00. Ccheck ebay regularly and you can find one. First I went to www.polarusa.com and found which one that does the things I need it to do. The I checked Ebay for about 2 weeks and found a great deal! Good luck!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    bump:tongue:
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions. I certainly wouldn't waste my time or money to buy one that wouldn't do what I needed it to do, that would defeat the purpose. I should be able to afford one in the semi near future, I can totally see spending about $100 eventually on one. I could manage that in time - and like someone said I will be scoping out Amazon deals constantly , because I know sometimes they run some amazing deals.

So I need to make sure to get one with a chest strap? And brand wise seems like everyone seems to think Polar is one of the reliable brands!
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    I have one made by Timex. It came with a chest strap and has a replaceable battery unlike the polar's that you have to send in for replacement. It was rated very well through consumer reports. I got if on amazon for around $50. It works great and it totally motivates you to keep moving
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I have the Polar FT7- I purchased it last February and have used it almost everyday since! I really love it. I think I paid around $115 for it, but I'm sure its come down in price over the past year. I think its worth spending a little more because it will last. I have logged many hours with it- even in the pool. The batteries can be changed by yourself (some models you have to send in), and the strap is comfortable. My batteries just showed low a few days ago- so almost a year later. I would highly recommend this! :)
  • I have one made by Timex. It came with a chest strap and has a replaceable battery unlike the polar's that you have to send in for replacement. It was rated very well through consumer reports. I got if on amazon for around $50. It works great and it totally motivates you to keep moving

I did see Timex ones on Amazon for fairly cheap. I may have to look into that as well. Worth reading up a little more on. It's overwhelming to type in Heart Rate Monitor into Amazon and see how many that come up! And have no idea what you are really looking for!
  • I have the Polar FT7- I purchased it last February and have used it almost everyday since! I really love it. I think I paid around $115 for it, but I'm sure its come down in price over the past year. I think its worth spending a little more because it will last. I have logged many hours with it- even in the pool. The batteries can be changed by yourself (some models you have to send in), and the strap is comfortable. My batteries just showed low a few days ago- so almost a year later. I would highly recommend this! :)

Wow! A year? That is pretty fantastic battery life! Thanks for the recommendation!
This discussion has been closed.