ketchup is evil!!!!!!!!

Options
last night for dinner I made grilled chicken tenders and steamed veggies(broccoli,cauliflower,yellow squash and carrots). I thought that I was doing good when I reached for the ketchup as my dipping sauce. Ketchup is harmless right??? Not!!! 1 tablespoon of ketchup has a whopping 20 calories, and who eats only 1 tablespoon of ketchup? I ended up adding like 100 extra calories to my "light" dinner.

Replies

• ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    last night for dinner I made grilled chicken tenders and steamed veggies(broccoli,cauliflower,yellow squash and carrots). I thought that I was doing good when I reached for the ketchup as my dipping sauce. Ketchup is harmless right??? Not!!! 1 tablespoon of ketchup has a whopping 20 calories, and who eats only 1 tablespoon of ketchup? I ended up adding like 100 extra calories to my "light" dinner.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It's BEYOND high in sodium too!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I learned that the hard way too. That's why I use mustard for everything now.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Exactly. it has too much sugar and salt to be allowed in my household. They have low sodium or low sugar ketchup but it doesn't taste the same.

I just substitute ketchup for spicy mustard. Delicious!
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like to use A1, it is still 15 for a tb but the flavor is so much stronger you really can use only that much. I also use chipotle tabasco sauce on my chicken instead, because it has lower cals and more flavor too.

What are some other things people use to spice up their chicken??:flowerforyou:
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Heinz Organic Ketchup is really good, although, I'm not sure of the nutritional info of it.. but I do know that it's healthier! So I guess if your gonna eat ketchup it might as well be healthier. lol. :laugh: And I think it tastes better than the regular.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I really like the KC Masterpiece Light BBQ sauce, I think it is only 10 per serving.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i will never give up honey bbq sauce.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love the Sweet Baby Rays Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce! Man, it's GOOOOD!
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Is that store bought or restaurant?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Store bought! Delicious.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Mustard really is the way to go! :happy:
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    mustard is gross.

AND HORRAY!! STORE BOUGHT!

my life is complete!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Talking about it actually made me want it! So, guess what I am having with my Trader Joes Chicken Drumettes??? hahaa
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Get the No-Salt Added Ketchup--much better for you, low in calories, and low in sodium! And still tastes like ketchup (to me anyway).

Heinz - Ketchup (No Salt)
    2 tblsp.

Calories 40
    Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Total Carbs10 g
    Sugars 8 g
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    YEAH.. plus its full of High Frutose Corn Suryp...YUCK..
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am a Ketchup Queen and I use alot!!! I rarely eat stuff that involves ketchup so when I do I enjoy. Most of the time when I do eat it I am eating a burger or fries and then it is usually my cheat meal so I don't feel guilty. Mustard is over-rated at my house...my husband loves the stuff and I think we own every possible kind and I still don't find myself using any one of them ...and they kind of smell!!!! I cannot imagine eating salt free ketchup or sugar free but if you must you might get use to it???!!!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I love mustard on chicken!!!
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options
    i've been avoiding ketchup because of the sodium. I want to try the no salt added stuff. Sounds a bit scary though. lol
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I was such a ketchup queen too until I learned the darn sodium/sugar thing....now I will either use mustard or A1 sauce just a bit...or honey bbq sauce...but only in little doses....I use salsa a lot to dip my grilled foods in its better all around! lol....but ketchup I do miss you....please write!! lol