Split my workout?

Meganne1982
Meganne1982 Posts: 451
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm aiming at doing 2 hours of cardio everyday right now. I've been at it for about a week, and it feels like just the right amount- not too much, not too little... but I'm wondering this:

What is better for improving my overall metabolism- Doing the 2 hours together (which I've been doing) OR splitting it up and doing and hour first thing in the morning and then another hour in the afternoon? OR does it make no difference at all?

I don't know a whole lot about excercise science, so anyone who could shed some light on this for me would be great.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    I was told at a certain point of your running workout you stop weight loss and go into just cardiovascular. I am no genius but I would think to split it. Either way good luck!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Wow, that sounds like A LOT of cardio! I would cut that cardio time WAY down and get a better workout in a shorter period of time. Interval training (HIIT), circuit training; will maximize fat burn at a fraction of the time.
  • Wow, that sounds like A LOT of cardio! I would cut that cardio time WAY down and get a better workout in a shorter period of time. Interval training (HIIT), circuit training; will maximize fat burn at a fraction of the time.

I also do strength training, yoga, and pilates. I'm aiming to keep my cardio endurance really high cuz I'm aiming to do a half marathon next fall.
  • jamie1888
    Ahhh! That makes sense then! :wink:
    Some runners out there should be able to assist here. I was under the impression that it's optimal to NOT do such long runs or sessions on a daily basis. I think at the very least, you have to make sure you are hydrating & giving your body enough to fuel those extended workouts.
  • jamie1888
    Maybe you'd get better advice here if you repost the question and get the attention of the runners... . "help training for half marathon" or something like that. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Ahhh! That makes sense then! :wink:
    Some runners out there should be able to assist here. I was under the impression that it's optimal to NOT do such long runs or sessions on a daily basis. I think at the very least, you have to make sure you are hydrating & giving your body enough to fuel those extended workouts.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm discovering the hydrating is VERY important. During my two hours on the elliptical I usually get my full 8 glasses!
This discussion has been closed.