Drinking

Options
so i like to go out with my friends, but i know a lot of my weight gain has to do with drinking as well.

does anybody know some low calorie drinks or something to help me

please and thank you
=)

Replies

• SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki,

Me too! Hummmm, New Year's Eve I had champagne and water. I would take sip of my champagne and then I would drink water. I lost 3.5 pounds that week. I know that this is not a drink of chois except for holidays, but I heard someone here say that you could do that with wine as well. Good luck!
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i DRINK RUM AND DIET COKE.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also like to drink captain morgan and diet coke. It's about 70 calories per ounce of captain and 0 calories for the diet coke. Wine is also a good choice.
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Try vodka and water with a splash of lime…sounds weird but is really nice and low in calories. It’s most important to not eat after drinking, the body metabolises the alcohol first and stores the fat from the food, so you’ll end up gaining. If you must eat, go for something low in fat and, preferably, low in calories! But remember, it is still important to enjoy yourself!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Tonic with Gin and I love it. With a lime slice of course!

I've read that Vodka/Diet Tonic and Gin/Diet Tonic are two of your best bets.

I also like low-cal light beers too! Like Coors Light :happy:
  • mhowe86
    mhowe86 Posts: 37
    Options
    I know Smirnoff has some zero calorie vodka flavors.... try that with a diet coke :)
  • runjenrun
    runjenrun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    its always harder when youre going to a bar. i would say vodka waters with lime are good if the bartender makes 'em right. rum and diet coke. michelob ultra if youre into beer. if you need any tips for drinking at a house party or something where you can bring your own stuff premade "skinnymargarita" that bethenny from the real housewives came up with isn't too bad. i think its like under 200 calories for the whole bottle. i like to get fun though. one of my favorites to make is vodka with 1/4 water 1/4 cranberry juice 1/2 diet sprite or other related beverage and lime. i think lime is the best way to make diet drinks better.

ps im a college student not an alcoholic
  • Nikki_K139
    Options
    haha i understand im a college student as well!!!

thanks guys this will really help me!!!
  • luckypenny786
    Options
    I have the same problem.... My boyfriend is trying to cut down on the drinks too, so that helps. But we still love our bottle of wine and movie nights, especially since the weather is so crappy. Plus there isn't much else to do around here in the winter besides go out and drink.

I've been trying to cut down on the number of drinks I have when I go out to just 1 or 2 a night (depending on the night). For special occasions or parties, I definitely drink more, but still try to be aware and cut back.

Definitely stay away from those super sugary mixed drinks. If you must do liquor, make it a diet coke and rum or something like that. Remember that a 5oz glass of red wine is about the same calories of a 12oz glass of light beer. The beer would probably take longer to drink, causing you to drink less calories throughout the night. The rule for beer is that higher alcohol content leads to a higher calorie count. Makes sense because alcohol is basically sugar.

The biggest thing for me is resisting those late night snacks, pizza, etc. The more you drink, the more likely you'll cave in.

When I was in college, I lost 30lbs strictly following weight watchers and pretty much cut out alcohol completely. I would bring my own unsweetened iced tea to parties so I could still play drinking games and not feel socially awkward not drinking.

Sorry that was rambling, but I hope it helps!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think with this it's best to balance things out. If you know you're going out, extend your workouts and eat a little less. Biggest things to avoid are anything with sweet and sour and a lot of the juice mixers. Ask the bartender if they have diet mixers. A lot of places carry them! My favs are vodka with Minute Maid Light Lemonade or diet cranberry juice. Wine is always a good choice (90 cals/glass for dry white, about 110 for reds), cosmos have about 150, same with apple martinis (unless they make them with apple juice). Aboslut flavored vodkas (citron and pear are my fav) with some soda water or diet tonic is always a good option too!

Don't listen to anything that says it's a zero-calorie alcohol. Alcohol is made from grain. I went to school for hospitality and F&B management, I studied this. It's impossible to do. Don't listen. It's a hype that companies are using to try to sell to us. And like someone else said, just watch the eating after you've started drinking!