To much water?

Options
Is there a chance that I could be drinking to much water? I do have my body weight in water a day.

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not sure I also drink my weight in water each day! Curios to see what is said!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That's a great topic and I would love to also know the answer to that. I once had a trainer who told me not to drink too much water while working out...
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    See I heard that you can drink too much water and drown on the inside so Im wicked paranoid about this
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Though it's rare, there is such a thing as drinking too much water. It's called hyper-hudration. Basically what happens is your electrolytes are depleted too much and you faith or pass out. I drink over a gallon of water a day, as long as your electrolytes are still in balance you should be fine!
  • 135sb
    135sb Posts: 24
    Options
    half your body weight in oz.. 160 lbs would be 80oz
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A good way to tell if you're drinking too much or too little water is by looking at your urine. If you're not drinking enough water your urine is a dark yellow. If you're drinking too much water, your urine is clear. If you are properly hydrated your urine should be about the color of lemonade.
  • ebkins7
    Options
    It's called hyper-hudration.

oops... Hyper- hYdration!
  • ebkins7
    Options
    A good way to tell if you're drinking too much or too little water is by looking at your urine. If you're not drinking enough water your urine is a dark yellow. If you're drinking too much water, your urine is clear. If you are properly hydrated your urine should be about the color of lemonade.

actually you want it clear to a pale yellow... a lemon color you need more water!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    A condition known as hypoanoremia (sp?) is from drinking too much water TOO QUICKLY and can be deadly. A morning radio show had a contest to drink like two gallons of water in a short time like 10 minutes for the person to win two tickets to a concert. The woman that took the challenge died later that day. Marathon runners have been known to die from this as well b/c they had been so depleted from the effort of the race and the chemical imbalance in their blood was accentuated by adding a lot of water after the race and drinking it quickly. Sipping water over the course of the day SHOULD not be harmful.
  • mariabancs
    Options
    Yes,there such as thing as drinking too much water. Our body balances the water in our body by making it isotonic to the surrounding tissue (i.e., make it have the same salt (and other electrolytes) composion). Our kidneys are then able to filter the excess water and salt out and send it to our bladder. Drinking excess amounts of water, particularly when exercising vigourously can result in removing too many electrolytes from our body. This can lead to cramping, nausea and in severecases a heart attack. Most guidlines I have have read say that you should drink 6-10 glasses of water a day. The intake of water can be increased alittle if you are loosing too much water due to excess sweating, but you should then also increase you sodium intake to replace lost electrolytes. Hope this helps.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Yep, I was just told this as well in the nutrition workshop I attended at work yesterday. The instructor was a Certified Nutritional Therapist.
  • WildFlower7
    Options

SWEET!! I'm good then, lol ;) Good to know these facts though! Thanks for the post.:wink:
  • WildFlower7
    Options

Yep, I was just told this as well in the nutrition workshop I attended at work yesterday. The instructor was a Certified Nutritional Therapist.

Is that true? That would mean I only need to drink ONLY 62oz a day???????:noway: I drink 115-120 a day? Is that bad?
    Yes,there such as thing as drinking too much water. Our body balances the water in our body by making it isotonic to the surrounding tissue (i.e., make it have the same salt (and other electrolytes) composion). Our kidneys are then able to filter the excess water and salt out and send it to our bladder. Drinking excess amounts of water, particularly when exercising vigourously can result in removing too many electrolytes from our body. This can lead to cramping, nausea and in severecases a heart attack. Most guidlines I have have read say that you should drink 6-10 glasses of water a day. The intake of water can be increased alittle if you are loosing too much water due to excess sweating, but you should then also increase you sodium intake to replace lost electrolytes. Hope this helps.

Eeeek?! Kinda scary! Guess I'm gonna cut back on it a bit till summer rolls around lol! Thanks!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Is that true? That would mean I only need to drink ONLY 62oz a day???????:noway: I drink 115-120 a day?

I read the same thing yesterday. Half your body weight. Mine would be 65oz. I usually drink about 2 liters a day. My pee is a pale yellow, sometimes almost clear. 115-120 won't hurt you either. I figure with exercise we're sweating some out of us too.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I was also told its half your weight in water. My sister over-hydrated herself during bootcamp and got deathly sick. She was in the hospital a couple of days. So I am paranoid about that too.