would you consider this working out?

Options
So Ive never been too big on working out especially because I am a full time student and a have a full time job so I dont exactly have time to get to the gym. I have a couple of work out videos that I do at home but after a while I get bored of them. So the other day I was listening to some music (Bosnian music) and got up to dance with my mom and realized that it was really intense and got my heart rate up. Since then Ive been doing it every day for about 20 min twice a day.

Heres a link to a youtube video of what it looks like since its traditional Bosnian folklore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yp0vdlBWZI&feature=related

My question is, would anyone consider this cardio and how would I log it into MFP?

Replies

• jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I would def. count any dancing as exercise for sure! I would just log it as dancing in the database, good for u! :bigsmile:
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    Yep, it's similiar to doing ZUMBA! Count it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Especially if your heart rate is up! You betcha!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Sure, count it. BUT...as a full time graduate student, a full time environmental engineer in the alternative energy industry, and a person training for two half marathons...YOU have time to work out. I make time for my work outs at 4:30 am six days a week. Yes, it is awful getting out of bed so early BUT I feel so good after my work out that it is 100% work the hour less of sleep that I'm sacrificing.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It is def considered a workout, if you have a nintendo Wii there is a game called just dance 2 that my wife plays and I have tried it and would consider it cardio especially 20-30 minutes worth. Good luck!!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, if it gets your heart rate up....it counts! :)
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    That sounds like a really fun way of working out to me. Great music!:smile:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Another one for count it! :smile:
  • DijanaN
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Im really looking for ways to work out that are fun and that I know I can stick to but also convenient.

Cass I understand what you mean by making time for it but honestly I have more responsibilities than just school, work and working out. I already get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night I dont think that I would be able to sacrifice 1 more hour. Im looking for ways to do it from home before work for example because I can do it in my pajamas without taking the extra 45 min to get ready for the gym, drive there and drive back. Im in no way trying to make excuses for myself but I really need it to fit into my life.

It seems that people are having great results doing games on the Wii, I don't have one but it sounds like a good investment and I'm sure my brother would love it too..
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Im really looking for ways to work out that are fun and that I know I can stick to but also convenient.

Cass I understand what you mean by making time for it but honestly I have more responsibilities than just school, work and working out. I already get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night I dont think that I would be able to sacrifice 1 more hour. Im looking for ways to do it from home before work for example because I can do it in my pajamas without taking the extra 45 min to get ready for the gym, drive there and drive back. Im in no way trying to make excuses for myself but I really need it to fit into my life.

It seems that people are having great results doing games on the Wii, I don't have one but it sounds like a good investment and I'm sure my brother would love it too..

First off, I agree with everyone above! It for sure counts! I would also just log it under dancing, general if it were me (that is how I log my Just Dance 2 Wii workouts that I do about 20+ minutes at a time, it is certainly a workout)!

The Wii is great. I use it. Especially EA Sports Active 2, it includes a heart rate monitor as well. I love it! Although if you do not all ready have one, especially since you like to dance so much, I would actually recommend an XBOX 360 and Kinect, because there are no controllers, the sensors are amazing, lots of dance games and EA Active 2, etc for it as well. :) Just another thought!

Also, don't let other people discourage you, only you know your life, your limitations and what you are willing or able to do. Could I go to the gym? Absolutely. But I get uncomfortable with doing so and my anxiety sky rockets and I spend more time in a panic than I do working out. So I get a better burn working out at home and outside! Although I plan to try to work going to the gym into my schedule (or save up for a treadmill and an elliptical at home instead, haha) .

Seriously though, good luck to you. And the short answer is YES it totally counts!