Gym...

Options
I was wondering what does everyone do at the gym. What workouts and for how long and what does it target because i am totally lost when it comes to going to the gym. Thanks

Replies

• chantalicious
    Options
    Twice a week I do a 60 to 90 minute spin class. On the other days I usually spend about 45 minutes on the treadmill/eliptical/stair master. I try to mix it up so I don't get bored. I'm big on cardio to burn calories though I need to start lifting more often!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I like to do to elliptical for 20-30 minutes. I also do about 8 exercises for my upper body and 8 for my lower body. Most gyms have someone who will go around and show you how to use machines that you don't know how to use--my gym did this and it was a lifesaver! I also take full advantage of all of the classes they have, such as Cardio Salsa, Zumba, Yoga, etc.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually go in and start with some light weight lifting 3 sets of ten, then I do 20 to 30 minutes on the elliptical and then 30-40 min on the treadmill. I try to equal the two(Treadmill + elliptical) to 60 minutes.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Here is my weekly routine, keep in mind I am also training for a half marathon

Weekday work outs, 4:30 am
    Mon- Gym, 20 min cardio, dumbbell circuit (chest press, rows, lunges, curls, triceps kick backs, shoulder press. 20 reps, 2 sets, 10-20 lbs depending on muscle group) and abs/stretching totaling 60 mins
    Tues- Outside easy run, 2-3 miles (30 mins)
    Wednesday- Indoor Spinning, 60 mins
    Thursday- Same as tuesday
    Friday- Same as monday, optional rest day if needed

Weekend work outs, 8 am
    Sat- Tempo or Speed work out, 4-9 miles (60 mins)
    Sun- Long run, 8-13 miles (2 hours)
    Yoga, 60 mins

The key to starting a new gym routine is to start slow. for your first week aim to go just 20 mins, 3 or 4 times. Once that is comfortable increase a little bit until you are happy with your results.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mondays: - Interval Training on the tredmill, Weights and sometimes a Yoga class

Tuesdays: - Zumba Class

Wednesdays: Spin Class and weights

Thursday - No gym, run

Friday - Kick Class and Yoga Class

Sat - Weights and run
  • Smokechic
    Smokechic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I personally focus on burning fat. To do this, cardio is needed and you need to reach your target heart rate for 45 minutes straight. The reason for the 45 minutes is because everybody's body is different....some burn in their face first and maybe belly last or vice versa and there is no way of knowing in what order we burn from. 45 minutes will give you a full body burn. Your target heart rate depends on factors such as age, etc. and you would need to figure that out (you can find out how to do this online). I am just getting back into exercising and doing it with my husband, so for now, I am not focusing on much of anything but to just get back into the routine and to encourage my husband and kids to go because, as we all know, something is better than nothing. When I do get back full force, I will use the treadmill. Some use the elliptical, that is a full body workout. It's really just personal preference because if you enjoy it, you'll stick with it. A couple times a week, I will stay at the gym longer to do strengthening...muscle will help burn the fat faster and of course give a toned look.
  • Anataz
    Anataz Posts: 13
    Options
    I really like the elliptical. I use the weight loss setting and go for it!
    I do a minimum of 30 minutes but shoot for 45 min+.

I fouond that if I read while exercising, time goes bu so fast. Next thing you know the hour has gone by :)

I was also recommended to do a weight lifitng class, I am kind of nervous about it but will try it.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well ... I usually do 45 - 60 mins of cardio (treadmill/eliptical/bike/stair climber) .... whatever works for you. I mix it up so I don't get bored.

Then I usually work my entire body ... arms first ... I use the old fashion dumb bells ... and do chest/biceps/triceps 4 sets of 10....then abs (you can either pick a machine or do simple squats with a ball) I don't know how your gym is ... then legs ... pick machines that work your thighs and calves ... and do as many sets as you can handle.

And thats my workout. I usually do it about 4 to 5 times a week.

Good luck .... and I know the feeling .... I was lost until I signed up for a trainer to give me some guidance.

Also you can try Zumba or any other class for cardio .... they work wonders.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    More of the same for me. 45 - 60 minutes cardio. Elliptical and Treadmill. Both of these should have a weight loss setting. Great for beginners. Then off to the free weights. There are several great sites for working with weights and different exercises.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    When I first started my routine was stretch, do the elliptical or treadmill to get the heart to pumping, and then lift. Then it changed to stretch, burn 300 calories on the treadmill or elliptical, then do a crossfit type workout.

Now it's different. I do 2 days of lifting and 2 days of hard cardio workouts I've modified from Martin Rooney.

This week here is how it went down.

Monday- Jog for 30 minutes around inside track
    2.5 minutes walk around track
    17 minutes on stationary bike
    4 sets of 8 close grip bench presses
    4 sets of 8 chin ups
    5 sets of 20 seconds each hand plate pick up
    5 sets of 20 seconds each hand plate pinch
    3 sets of 10 med ball toe touch
    3 sets of 10 med ball triangle crunch
    3 sets of 10 med ball explosive sit ups

Tuesday- Stairmaster for 33 minutes
    2.5 minute walk around
    18 minutes stationary bike
    2.5 minute walk around
    8 sets of 15 second sprints at 9 mph at 5% incline, rest until heart rate is at 120 bpm

Wednesday- Recovery

Here's today:

Thursday- Stairmaster for 34 minutes
    2.5 minute walk around
    3 sets of 8 each side Overhead Hammer Strikes
    2.5 minute walk around
    9 sets of 15 second sprints at 10 mph at 7% incline, rest until heart rate is at 120 bpm
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with the gym classes. My goal is to go 5x's a week:

-Zumba x2: Cardio
    -Yoga x1: Builds on core strength and flexibility
    -Body Works x2: Focuses on full body strength training & also has cardio.

I love all my instructors. I jumped around between different classes until I found the instructors that I really enjoyed going to each week. I find the treadmill & elliptical to be boring (I prefer to run outside). I never get bored in my classes (:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I either do the treadmill or the elliptical for 45 minutes. (I am bad about lifting weights, and I need to really do something about that).

Today I did circuit of 15 ea hardcore on the treadmill/elliptical/bike.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    right now I workout with my personal trainer 3x a week and the other 2 days I do elptical for 35 minutes