So flippin sore.

Options
ughhhh. I can hardly walk. LMAO! My question is, does a hot tub really help your muscles feel better? I've heard this a few times, don't know if it's true or not.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just read the opposite in a muscle building magazine last night...ice ice baby!!! lol
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you are sore and for how long you've been sore, what were you doing to get sore. I've used hot tub therapy for several years after a car accident, it is definitely relaxing and good for muscle tension. But if you are sore from working out, it's probably not the best options and several other alternatives are better.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    pain killers :)
  • MKSullivan
    Options
    I like to take a bath in Epsom salts - here is what one source says about it:

By taking a bath using Epsom Salt, the skin readily absorbs the magnesium and sulfate. As the sulfate is absorbed into the skin, toxins are drawn from the cells. Muscles relax. The magnesium reduces the inflammation in the muscles and relieves pain. The magnesium also helps the body bind serotonin, which is a chemical that promotes a sense of well-being and relaxation. The relaxation you feel, in turn, helps alleviate stress, which drains magnesium from the body and can cause tight muscles.

Read more: How Does Epsom Salt Relax Muscles? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4674568_epsom-salt-relax-muscles.html#ixzz1Awci6KFh

You can buy a big bag at any drug store and it's very inexpensive :)
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Stretching is key to not being sore, Lactic acid is what makes you feel that way!! But Ice is what helps that.
    Keep up the good work!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just give yourself a few days to recover. Feed your muscles the protein they need and drink that water. 2 weeks ago I couldn't exercise for 2 days because I was in so much freakin pain. Every time I had to use the bathroom my kids would stand outside the door laughing at me while my oldest did a play by play. "ok she is about to screammmmmm NOW" and all you hear is me screaming and laughing at the same time as I try to sit on the toliet. I shredded my poor thighs that week.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Stretching is key to not being sore, Lactic acid is what makes you feel that way!!

That's not true.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I think stretching , along with the hot tub can help.It is easier to stretch when your muscles are warm. I have a hot tub and it does help my muscles to relax when they are tight. Do your muscles feel tight or just sore? I think it is worth trying.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try an Epsom bath. Will the hot tub hurt my muscles?

Someone had said it mattered why I was sore. It's from going from 0 exercise to fairly intense workouts the last three days. I plan on working out tonight, despite my pain, because I've read it's good to just work through the pain.

I will be doing a water class, and thought about dipping in the hot tub first for a bit...
  • MKSullivan
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try an Epsom bath. Will the hot tub hurt my muscles?

Someone had said it mattered why I was sore. It's from going from 0 exercise to fairly intense workouts the last three days. I plan on working out tonight, despite my pain, because I've read it's good to just work through the pain.

I will be doing a water class, and thought about dipping in the hot tub first for a bit...

Just do something light tonight - when I have 3 days of intense workouts and am feeling sore, I usually use the 4th day to go for a walk or just hop on the elliptical.