To join a gym or not

Options
2»

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Most regular gym-goers hate the "New Years Resolutioners". It's nothing personal, obviously, but we're used to having empty gyms all to ourselves and then every January it's packed. There's absolutely no reason that should stop YOU from joining the gym though.

First and foremost, you're joining the gym for your benefit and not for what some random stranger thinks. But, like mentioned above, the reality is that most people in the gym don't really pay attention to or notice others. I know -I- definitely don't. Earphones in, hoodie up, get in, black out, scrape myself up off the floor, get out.

Second, it's mostly directed at the guys who are hogging the bench press machines and squat racks. You know the type: they wear tanktops and are constantly laughing and joking with their friends and then lifting their shirts in front of the mirror to stare at their non-existent abs.

Third, once you stick it out past February you really won't be a New Year's Resolutioner anymore! Then in 2012 we can read your thread about how YOU hate all these new people who are crowding your gym!
  • zydratethief
    Options
    Most regular gym-goers hate the "New Years Resolutioners". It's nothing personal, obviously, but we're used to having empty gyms all to ourselves and then every January it's packed. There's absolutely no reason that should stop YOU from joining the gym though.

First and foremost, you're joining the gym for your benefit and not for what some random stranger thinks. But, like mentioned above, the reality is that most people in the gym don't really pay attention to or notice others. I know -I- definitely don't. Earphones in, hoodie up, get in, black out, scrape myself up off the floor, get out.

Second, it's mostly directed at the guys who are hogging the bench press machines and squat racks. You know the type: they wear tanktops and are constantly laughing and joking with their friends and then lifting their shirts in front of the mirror to stare at their non-existent abs.

Third, once you stick it out past February you really won't be a New Year's Resolutioner anymore! Then in 2012 we can read your thread about how YOU hate all these new people who are crowding your gym!

Much love to you for this!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I would join the gym I felt that way when I was at my heavy weight but I just remember you can go and do it for yourself dont worry what anyone thinks. There is all sorts of people at gym everyone has different goal :) So good luck with your decision!!!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? They don't have classes, which is a negative, but if you're only interested in the equipment, you can't beat it. I notice a lot of 'less fit' people there as opposed to the big bodybuilder or perfect Fitness models you'd see at your typicaly gym - it's really a more comfortable place.

However, if you're like me and find excuses not to go, you're much better doing your own thing at home. There are tons of great DVDs out there - I own plenty of them! :laugh:

Also, if you are interested in fitness classes as opposed to equipment, there are many places you can go other than the gym. For example, I teach Zumba classes at the local recreation center. No membership fee .. pay as you go ... and lots of people that are not comfortable in a gym setting. That's exactly why I started the classes where I did. I have friends that teach at churches, schools and dance studios that don't require a membership.

Whatever you will continue to do is the answer ... Good luck!
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I felt the same way for a bit - but I realized that the "Gymrats" actually look at you with some respect once they see you as a regular and not one of those "flash int he pan" that sign up for 3 weeks and leave. You get more than one "good for you" look and helpful suggestions by those who are the regulars and have 2% body fat. Because, at one point, they were you.

I do suggest a gym though so you can break up routine - Tired of cardio on a treadmill, take a class. Bored with machines, try free weights. Want to not do anything normal then figure out raquetball or try swimming. I looked like an idiot the first few times I tried something new but ended up really enjoying it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I'm Gymphobic. I can't get past the germs, sweat, smell, people :) I enjoy working out alone. I too don't want anyone at the gym watching me, talking to me or working with me. I did curves for a while, which was OK but not for everyone and I easily surpassed the ability of many of the women there (avg age 50-60). I found that with my erratic schedule, having to actually get up, dressed and drive somewhere, a gym wasn't for me. I found in the long run, an investment in my own elliptical machine, running gear, and now P90X that I'm much happier and more dedicated on my own.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options

I hope by Feb they are no longer looking at me as a new years resolutioner!
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? They don't have classes, which is a negative, but if you're only interested in the equipment, you can't beat it. I notice a lot of 'less fit' people there as opposed to the big bodybuilder or perfect Fitness models you'd see at your typicaly gym - it's really a more comfortable place.

However, if you're like me and find excuses not to go, you're much better doing your own thing at home. There are tons of great DVDs out there - I own plenty of them! :laugh:

Also, if you are interested in fitness classes as opposed to equipment, there are many places you can go other than the gym. For example, I teach Zumba classes at the local recreation center. No membership fee .. pay as you go ... and lots of people that are not comfortable in a gym setting. That's exactly why I started the classes where I did. I have friends that teach at churches, schools and dance studios that don't require a membership.

Whatever you will continue to do is the answer ... Good luck!

Planet Fitness is actually the gym I was going to join. The price is the most reasonable and it's right over the bridge near where I used to work. Plus it seems convenient that I can use any of their locations for when I find another job and can switch my membership to a closer location if needed. I think I am going to try it out for a day next week, my friend has a membership at one of their locations which is about an hour or so from me. I'm thinking of going with her, of all locations I think her gym is in an area of really fit and stuck up people, so if it's not too bad there when she goes, I'll be less afraid to join in another location.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    If it is 24 hrs then you can go at night and not worry either. My ex and I used to go at night to the 24 hr fitness and there was hardly anyone there. Most people go right before work or after. Good luck
    [/quote]

I think going at night is a good idea, but I'd be a little nervous going by myself at night being a female. But I'm going to try going later in the night or really early in the morning depending on my work schedule.
  • addie807
    Options
    Do what you think is right for you. Try the P90X program. I hear it's absolutely awesome and gives fantastic results. Good Luck with your weight loss.

Also the gym is for everybody. Ignore your friend's comments . They are ignorant. Don't worry about what other people think. The gym is to help people get healthy and stay healthy. You are trying to get healthy so good for you. All those fit and muscular people started somewhere, right?
  • bobanda
    bobanda Posts: 10
    Options
    After you've tried out gyms and found one you like, if they make you sign a contract, check your local Craigslist for people trying to get rid of their memberships!

Some gyms (Gold's and American Family, I think, are like this) won't let you cancel a contract - but they'll let you transfer it to someone. I transferred my Gold's membership to someone I found on CL after I started going to my local JCC (JCC had a pool, Gold's did not). We both benefited -she got the lower member price for less than the 2 year contract, and I got out of a membership I didn't want.

Not all gyms are this bad - I recommend researching gyms in your area and seeing if they have reviews online.