Runnign Shoes - Advice Sought

Options
2»

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Forgot to mention, most running stores not only allow you to try the shoes on and even run in them a little bit outside the store, but allow you to exchange them for a different pair if you get them home, hit the pavement, and decide you don't like them. A few weeks before my half marathon in the fall I got new sneakers, did a 12 mile run and decided I hated them so I went back to the running store and switched them for a different pair- no questions asked! :happy:
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    I went to a running store and they fitted me for a 'big guy' shoe, the saucony echelon 2 and I love them. I would never have graduated C25K without them. i was ~250 at the time I got them.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For anyone, like me, who doesn't have a running store close by, there are other options. But it takes a lot of work.

First, check your arches.

Here are two great websites with information on what kind of arch you have.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/arch_height.htm

Second, determine how you pronate:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

(People with low arches tend to overpronate - people with high arches tend to underpronate.)

Third, check the wear on your old shoes:

Are they worn on the outside or inside of the shoe? For example, my feet underpronate severely, so the outside of my shoes are worn down, plus my old shoes lean out. Shoes with inside wear would indicate one who overpronates. Shoes which are worn equally indicate a neutral runner.

Fourth, are you a heavy runner or a light runner? This depends on your weight. Most heavy runners will want a lot of cushioning and support, but not all.

Fifth, on what kind of surfaces will you be running? Cement? Pavement? Dirt roads and paths? Gravel?

And, finally, what kind of running will you be doing? Long, slow runs? Short bursts of speed?

There are two basic types of shoes:

Support shoes: these restrict movement and are for people who overpronate and have low arches. They are also good for heavy runners, but may NOT be right for you, heavy or not. Unless you overpronate, you should avoid stabilization shoes.

Cushioned, neutral shoes: these have a lot of flexibility and cushioning for people who underpronate and have high arches. An arch support is helpful, too. They are also good for neutral runners.

There are different variations of these shoes. Some are for trail-runners, others for cross-country, and yet others are designed for speed. Once you get the basics on pronation, you can go from there to choose a shoe for what you intend.

Finding the right shoe is important to avoid injury. Many of the online shoe stores have reviews and info on each of their shoes. User reviews are important, too! They can tell you whether the shoe runs big, small, or true to size. Never buy a shoe that's too small. Any shoe that needs to be "broken in" is the wrong shoe. The right shoe should feel good out of the box.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I've bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers a few months back. I prefer to run in them over any shoe I've ever owned. Very comfortble and light.