Long and Lean without pilates/yoga???

amelia_atlantic
amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

Just a random thought: Is it possible to acheive that long and lean look without doing pilates? I'm specifically interested in having definition in my arms, shoulders and of course, abs.

I belong to Planet Fitness gym which is legitmately the Wal-Mart of gyms. I pay a whopping $10/month which gets me decent cardio and weight machines 1/2 a mile away from my workplace. I can't complain there, really. There are no classes and I can't afford to pay for exercise classes elsewhere. I also hate working out at home!

Any ideas or new diet/exercise plans I could try?

Thanks!

Replies

• beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Does planet fitness have fitness rooms or stretching areas? You could do some downward dog transitions and side planks... I know of some really do free videos, but you'd have to do them at home... sometimes it's not so bad if you do quick 20 minute ones! I wish I had some better advice but everything else I've tried bulks me up.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Pilates does rock to get that long and lean look to be sure. However, given the limitations you currently have, I would suggest starting with push ups. Those will absolutely work your arms, shoulders, and chest. Push-ups also have the added advantage of requiring you to work your core (abs) to maintain stability. They are portable and easy to do about anywhere. If your gym has a mat area, that would be ideal.

You could also pick up about any fitness magazine to get a basic Pilates work out. The difficulty with doing Pilates not having a good instructor/trainer skilled in them is that you never learn how to breathe properly and therefore lose a lot of the ab workout. I was amazed at how much difference proper breathing technique makes. I came away from my first class having only practiced breathing and my abs were trembling like I'd done 100 sit ups. If you can just make the occasional class at a good studio, I would encourage you to do so.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    There are some great cheap workout dvds that you could do at home to get the kind of results you want. I use Biggest Loser weight loss yoga, which was $10 at walmart, I think - it's setup so that you start with the beginner program, but they have 2 additional levels you can add to your program (on the one DVD) if you are more advanced. Something like 30 day shred or a bootcamp dvd, which incorporates dumbbell work, pushups, etc. would be good, too - I got those for $10 each as well. They're also a great cardio workout at the same time (the bootcamp and 30 day shred).
This discussion has been closed.