too much sodium

Options
i cant stop myself from wanting to add seasoning to everything. I cook healthy other then the sodium from the seasoning, is this really going to affect my results?

Replies

• amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Too much salt makes you retain water, and can raise your blood pressure. Sea salt is a better choice because it covers more surface area of the food, so you end up using less. Also Mrs. Dash has a bunch of very yummy salt-free seasonings!
  • asm12707
    Options
    thanks i will look into it :smile:
  • JeepOnRock
    Options
    I used to add salt out of habit. When I broke the habit, it didn't take long for me to not miss the taste. I do still like seasoning... I want a little kick... but I can avoid salt altogether. Wasabi is a different story...
  • asm12707
    Options
    lol this is going to be the hardest thing for me to stop doing
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    whats amazing is that when you do give it up and cut back drastically all other sodium intake (can goods, etc), when you go to bite into something that is too salty--i.e. procesed food, you will notice it, and it is enough to make you not want to eat it!!!!!
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of salt too. We started investing in really high quality (and fresh) spices. It takes some time to adjust your tastebuds, but if you use great spices and combine them to create flavors that are unique and interesting you will soon forget about salt!!! One great thing I have learned is that if you combine ginger with any heated spice (cayenne, pepper, onion, garlic, etc) the ginger serves to intensify the heat in a new and different way! And, ginger is great for you!!!
  • brittneyjo89
    Options
    I still have the same problem. One thing I have been doing is I switched from canned veggies to frozen ones or fresh. Frozen ones seem to work best for me and my family bcs I buy food in bulk and sometimes the fresh ones go bad on me. But frozen veggies have no sodium compared to the canned ones that usually have around 300 or 400 mgs. I still have lots of issues with sodium tho, so i will be checking your topic lots! I'll share any more ideas if I find anything else that seems to help.
  • asm12707
    Options
    these are all good ideas, thanks for the support. i know i need to stop because i even get tempted to add salt to lean cuisines lol
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Too much salt makes you retain water, and can raise your blood pressure. Sea salt is a better choice because it covers more surface area of the food, so you end up using less. Also Mrs. Dash has a bunch of very yummy salt-free seasonings!

Sea salt has a much better flavor too. I like Mrs. Dash myself. Their Chipotle seasoning is spiiicy but yummy.