How far am I running?

Options
I've been running a lot lately, but it's been difficult for me to input it into my exercise because I don't know how far or fast I am running. Does anyone have a reliable but semi-cheap suggestion to track my running distance or speed? Thanks!

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/

this should help u work out yr route so u know how far yr going , then its just a case of timing it , to get an idea of yr pace :) . good luck :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    www.walkjogrun.net allows you to map out your running course. Just glance at a clock before you head out and when you get back. If you input your total time, the site calculates your speed, distance, and calorie burn.

I used to hang a stopwatch off my mailbox and use that to time myself. :)
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Walmart sells a pedometer for about 20 bucks, if that helps. I use one for walking and it tracks my steps, distance, calories burned, it's also a watch and has a timer and a touch heart rate montior (not like the ones that track what you burned with a chest strap while your working out) just basically takes your pulse, but tells you if you are high or low from your target heart rate (of course you have to program in your basic info)
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I have used google maps and moved it around until i had my run mapped and it told me the miles. But it wans't easy.
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, check out an application called Endomondo. It's totally awesome.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    If you run alot, I would just pay the money and get a Garmin. They track your distance by GPS and are the greatest thing ever. Otherwise, Nike Plus attachment for your shoe is not too expensive and also is worth it.
  • clairebear25
    Options
    I use my Nike + Ipod running sport kit. Its like $30 and you can either attach it to your shoe (they sell the attachment at most running stores) or in your shoe (If you have Nike+ shoes). It measures your miles, your pace and calories...while playing your music. Its cheap so not sure how exactly accurate it is but it definitely give you a good idea!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Cheapest way? And a fairly accurate way, download imapmyrun or runkeeper to your smartphone (assuming you have one). The GPS feature will be able to give you pace, time and distance.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i use walkit.com
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Smartrunner free phone app for me.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Okay this seems so generic compared to all the "techie" answers on here (and they are great answers, don't get me wrong!:wink: ) but here is what I do: before I run, I map my course, then drive it. I simply track my distance on my car. Then after I run the course, I simply divide the amount of time it took me to run it (i.e., 30 minutes) by the distance I ran (i.e., 3 miles); and I know I ran a 10 minute mile. It's pretty unsophisticated, but for the cost of a little gas, it eliminates the need for any gadgets!
  • giggles05
    Options
    Hiya, what sort of phone do you have as you can download i map my run, nike or runkeeper, x
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use Nike Plus and very accurate, not terribly expensive buy from ebay 30 - 70$ Also on the ipod touch and I phones if you have either of those.. Its a free app if you have a smart phone you just need a sesor then about 20$
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay this seems so generic compared to all the "techie" answers on here (and they are great answers, don't get me wrong!:wink: ) but here is what I do: before I run, I map my course, then drive it. I simply track my distance on my car. Then after I run the course, I simply divide the amount of time it took me to run it (i.e., 30 minutes) by the distance I ran (i.e., 3 miles); and I know I ran a 10 minute mile. It's pretty unsophisticated, but for the cost of a little gas, it eliminates the need for any gadgets!
    That's how I use to do it when I walked or ran.
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    wow, glad I stumbled on this post. Lots of great answers that I'm looking forward to trying.
    melanie
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This was the same thing I was going to say. It is by far the easiest and most cost effective.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you're a big spender (or are motivated by big expenditures so you haven't "wasted" the money), go for a Garmin GPS/Heart Monitor (love, love, love my 310XT).

If not, my favorite app for smart phones (sorry, not for iphone users) is cardiotrainer. It is free, and will talk to you and tell you your pace or speed, calories burned, miles run, etc. all from the GPS function. It is an amazing app. If you can download it on your phone, I highly recommend it. It'll tell you exactly how far you've run and you can download your runs and look at them online. Very encouraging app and I LOVE the sexy British man's accent (guys, you might like the gal with an Aussie accent!). :)
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Such great ideas - I'm bumping for later research :flowerforyou:
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I love the run keeper app for IPhone keep miles has a trainer free and paid version if u need charts