New girl here-Thyroid finally functioning..10 down 40 to go!

Options
Hi Everyone,
Im 30 years old and have been on a diet I since I was 10 I think! 20 years of experience here..lol.
I have been using this site for around 2 weeks now! Had some great success so far following a low carb/ low calorie diet. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few months ago and am finally getting my TSH down. I am ready to lose the 60+lbs ive gained over the last 5 years. (25 of which were this past year!) So I am looking for MFP friends to take the journey with me and me with them. Best of luck to everyone!

I recently put this quote on my fridge... Not sure who said it first but my mom used to say it all the time..

"NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!"

Replies

• baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too, and it can be tough to lose weight. ( I swear we have to work harder then people with a normal thyroid) But I love a challenge ;-) Good luck, and keep up the good work!
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I love that quote- I think I'll add that to my fridge! (and my cupboards and the pantry... lol). I came to this site after discovering I had thyroid problems (I have Graves and underwent treatment to destroy my thyroid, so now I'm hypo and working from the same spot you are). There is so much support out there from other people going through the exact same thing and it really is a struggle to manage everything. I think a lot of people associate the thyroid with how it affects our weight, but I've found the biggest struggle to be the emotional aspects of it. If you ever need anything, let me know and keep up the good work!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I also have hypothyroid and it's frustrating. A key thing is to keep getting your blood tests every couple months until they have steadied your dosage out.

For me, it was my last dosage adjustment that finally brought my TSH clear down to a 2.something. The weight didn't magically fall off. But what has started happening is that all the running and eating efforts are finally beginning to pay off. I am actually able to lose weight now, when before I was working out like crazy and just maintaining. Frustrating, but be patient and work with your doctor, things will get better!
  • sunnyand71
    sunnyand71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another hypothyroidism gal here. I was diagnosed on October 1, 2010 after six years of deteriorating health. I look forward to getting my hormone in balance and God willing watching the pounds drop off. As long as the pounds go away and stay away, I will be happy. The features on this site will make it clear if the pounds aren't dropping then I can adjust accordingly. Are you on Synthroid?
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 10 years now. It definately makes it much harder to lose weight and much easier to put on weight. Just make sure you takes your meds every day on an empty stomach and stay away from foods containing soy. Good luck!
  • baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why stay away from foods containing soy? I drink soy milk because I'm lactose intolerant.
    (I have hypothyroidism, taking synthroid 25mcg daily)
  • tmrandall80
    Options
    Wow!! It's great to see so many people out there struggling with the same thing. It has been a roller coaster getting diagnosed and meds etc.. I'm sure you all know. Went to endocrinologist yesterday who told me that the .25 synthroid my general Dr had me on was not enough and upped the dose to .5. He says It should really make losing the weight easier once it kicks in. Fingers crossed. I have to lose it this time. Fully committed to it. Thanks for all of the support!! Best of luck to each of you!!