Saturday is my cheat day

Options
Hey
On Saturday it shall be my cheat day. I decided to treat myself because I plan on giving blood. Or attempt to, they may decline me because my veins are too small. Even so, I would have tried.

I really really want to go to a place called "Illegal Jacks" which is in Edinburgh, Scotland because i have never been. I have them on twitter and asked if they have any nutritional information and sadly they don't. They sell things like burrito's, taco's...so like a fast foody place.
Should I go to it even though I really wanna go but don't know the calories?! Or should I stick to something else like a subway?!

Help would be appreciated thankyou :)

Replies

• Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Saturdays are my cheat day also. I don't log my food but I don't go overboard. I would say go. Just keep in mind not to go crazy! Control is the name of the game
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're having a cheat meal, you could try to pick it apart and add things up manually, like approximately how much beef you ate, or rice, or taco shells. But I know that when my cheat meal comes around, I'm not even going to bother. That's going to be my break from counting so much! :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Just go and have a good time! :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Its up to you, but I only go to places that I can find their nutritional info and can look it up before I go so I can see the cals and the choices and I try to decide what I will have before I go. That way I dont get tempted by something else once I get there, and I know for sure how many cals I am having. Enjoy
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    totally go. and have fun, its a cheat day, you arent supposed to over worry about cheat days. and you can always enter the ingredients that are in the tacos/burritos and figure out around how much will be in the food you're eating. sounds fun! enjoy your cheat day!
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Okay. I won't go OTT.
    I really do wanna go. But I also love Subway...and a 12" sub sounds good..I usually get 6"!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I perferred to have a cheat meal... a whole is not good for me to do.. yet! :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cheat day on Saturday because my brother and his wife are having their 10th anniversary party, and there's no way I'm going to count calories! :tongue:

But when I go out to eat, if the place doesn't have nutritional information readily available, I pick something similar at another restaurant that's probably a little worse for me and use that as a guide. A locally owned Mexican restaurant doesn't have their info online, but Chili's does. Chili's also has bigger portions, and is greasier, so I use that as a "worst case scenario." I'd rather log too many than not enough.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't think that cheat meals/days are a good option. Espically if you're just starting out.
    I think that it's a bad habit to get into.
    IMO.
    I'm eating out tonight but I know that I'll make a healthy option when I order.
    Dressing on the side, grilled not fried, no cheese, what ever it may be....
  • Spikeyangel
    Options
    Ooooh.... Saturday is my weigh day!
    I'm doing it wrong! lol
  • Simonscat
    Options
    hahaha :)
    I don't have a weigh day. My weigh day is when i get to a scale :P!
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day--the same day I weigh in (Fridays). Weigh in first thing in the morning and then eat a little more "freely" if you will for the day. However, I do log it all because it's truly an eye-opener to see how many calories it has (I haven't gone over YET, I guess because I know I'm logging it in)! I firmly believe you need to enjoy what you eat or you're not going to make this journey permanent and you'll have to start over and over and over again--who wants to do that?

Go and enjoy--pick things apart if you must and do an honest estimate of what you ate--consciously doing that will keep you in check AND you get to eat some yummy food!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I perferred to have a cheat meal... a whole is not good for me to do.. yet! :wink:

Yep- ditto
  • shirley_1984
    Options
    I think one "cheat" meal would be ok, however, I don't really like the term "cheat day"... I think one meal that is outside of your goals per week is fine, but going overboard is what makes us overweight... Good Luck and enjoy yourself!!!
  • Simonscat
    Options
    Oh when I meant cheat day. It actually means cheat meal. :D!
    I will try keep it in my calorie allowance.

I think I'll stick to a subway. Me being greedy, I'm going to get a 12" one! :) 6" never satisfies me.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go places without nutritional information - realistically you're not ALWAYS going to be able to avoid them. When that happens, I do my best to find a realistic estimate based on other items in the food database. If I can pick out individual ingredients in what I ate (ex. a Kaiser roll plus an angus burger with a slice of cheddar cheese and a little bit of mayo) I'll try to log the ingredients separately. But if it's something that has a bunch of stuff mixed (ex. the warm german potato salad I had yesterday with the burger) I'll look at different items in the food database and pick something that seems realistic.

If you think you can go to this place and not pig out/go crazy, then give it a shot - you can likely find something that's not too horrible for you on the menu. Make good choices when you go with your health in mind, and log it the best you can. But, if you're not going to be able to control yourself, then stick to a place that has nutrition info like Subway (which you mentioned).
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    I don't understand "cheat days". Why would you log daily, exercise and eat healthy and then one day a week throw it all out the window and eat whatever you want? Doesn't that just negate everything you worked so hard on that week? I can understand a piece of cake at a wedding or a slice of pizza at a football party, but an entire day? Do you weigh the day after a "cheat day" ?
  • Simonscat
    Options
    It's not to eat what you want.
    It's to eat 1 thing, that will keep you under your calorie allowance but isn't healthy...=\ Like a bar of chocolate.

Without one of these cheat foods, most people end up failing and going straight back to binge eating rubbish
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    I don't understand the idea of a "cheat day" either. The very idea of "cheating" means that you are on a diet program that you don't like and makes you feel deprived. Why else would you need to cheat away from it? Why set yourself up that way?

I think you should eat what you want, when you want, at all times and in reasonable amounts. Every day. For the rest of your life. :D

Peace. Sophia
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Re: my version of "cheat days"

I enjoy all the foods I eat, and don't consider what I'm doing "dieting." I'm logging what I eat so I make smarter choices.

However, I HATE logging what I eat, and hope to not have to do it forever. My cheat days aren't so much about eating whatever's in sight as about not having to remember to log each and every cracker or slice of cheese, or wondering if my margarita was 8oz or 12. That sort of thing. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were my last "cheat days," and I still kept losing.