Skin After Weightloss

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering does everyone get loose skin after weightloss? What i mean is, is it possible to not have it when you reach your goals? Atm im not experiencing much of loose skin it seems to be keeping in par with the weightloss.

I see alot of picture of loose skin, do we all end up the same? Or is it possible to loose weight and tone the skin during the same process?

I'm not all clued up on having a baby, but i see stories like i lost my baby weight in x amount of weeks and now look at my body! Can this be done? Is having a baby and streching the skin the same as being over weight?

Replies

• KatSweets
    Options
    I'm curious about this myself. I have a lot of hanging skin and it doesn't seem to be toning up as I lose more or lift weights. So I'm really not sure what is going to happy. Guess it will just flap there. That's my experience anyways...
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your skin's texture and genetic makeup, and also on alot of factors like diet, water intake, and how fast you lose the weight.

of you're not showing loose skin by 70 pounds lost, I think you're ok, but if your worried about it, I currently use nivea my sillouhette gel (for skin tightening) and I have noticed a big difference on problem areas.

The thing is, you're actually in better shape skin-wise than someone who has had a baby, because the skin has to stretch so much in a short period of time, whereas I'm sure putting on weight was gradual (for most people)

I only gained 11 pounds through this pregnancy (second child) and still, I have alot of extra skin that I'm working hard to tone 8 months later.

that lotion is great though, I'm loving the results and tell all my friends :D
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    With 72 lbs lost, the only place I really noticed it was right around my belly and then just above my knees (looked like I had baggy panty hose on--really!). But my upper arms were fine, my face and neck tightened up, and my legs below my knees looked FABULOUS.
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am having this same major issue!!! It is so disappointing. I can literally lift areas of my body up. I am not sure where you are on your journey but for me I have about 18 pounds to go and my biggest mistake was not working out nearly as much as I should have. So work out as much as you can.. I just started consistently working out last week. I have been doing the Jillian Michales 30 day shred and trying to get in about a 1/2 hour of cardio (I've been doing just dance 2 on the wii its a blast) I am going to give myself a full year or two of maintaining my weight-loss and working out consistently and if I am still terribly unhappy or nothing changes I may consider cosmetic surgery- :(
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've lost 254 lbs and yea, got skin. Had the chicken wings on my arms but with a lot of toning, most of that is gone. Boobs hang down to my knees but they always did. Have the belly flap and while that's getting better too with toning, don't think it will ever really be 100% gone. Worst is my thighs where I carried a lot of weight. Tons of extra skin and toning not helping. Get a lot of looks when I wear a bathing suit.

But in the long run, I've come to accept my body as it is. My hubby loves every squishy inch, our "furry" children don't care as long as I walk them every day, and the rest of my significant family/friends are just glad to have me around and not dead from a heart attack. I look great in clothes, feel great out of them so life is good.
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    I am having this same major issue!!! It is so disappointing. I can literally lift areas of my body up. I am not sure where you are on your journey but for me I have about 18 pounds to go and my biggest mistake was not working out nearly as much as I should have. So work out as much as you can.. I just started consistently working out last week. I have been doing the Jillian Michales 30 day shred and trying to get in about a 1/2 hour of cardio (I've been doing just dance 2 on the wii its a blast) I am going to give myself a full year or two of maintaining my weight-loss and working out consistently and if I am still terribly unhappy or nothing changes I may consider cosmetic surgery- :(

This was me before

28229_400369708042_627713042_4378774_3549021_n.jpg

This was taken before xmas
    155236_1598728602983_1079057662_1597246_2501809_n.jpg

Problem for me is like people have said the belly area, i have been going to the gym since i started to loose the weight, my job requires me to do manually work im a carpenter so i kinda have a good hand there :D

I have about another 20lbs to loose i think

jkestens63 - Thank you! I wanna be like you lol and well done on your amazing loss!
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've lost 254 lbs and yea, got skin. Had the chicken wings on my arms but with a lot of toning, most of that is gone. Boobs hang down to my knees but they always did. Have the belly flap and while that's getting better too with toning, don't think it will ever really be 100% gone. Worst is my thighs where I carried a lot of weight. Tons of extra skin and toning not helping. Get a lot of looks when I wear a bathing suit.

But in the long run, I've come to accept my body as it is. My hubby loves every squishy inch, our "furry" children don't care as long as I walk them every day, and the rest of my significant family/friends are just glad to have me around and not dead from a heart attack. I look great in clothes, feel great out of them so life is good.

Amen! What a great outlook. :flowerforyou: