heart rate while exercising

Options
Tonight was the first time I have been to the gym in a year, while on the elliptical trainer I noticed my heart rate went up to 180 (I'm 30 so ideal is 150-160), I tried to slow it down but then struggled to use the trainer at a slower speed so carried on at comfortable speed, my heart rate stayed at 180 for about 3/4 mins. I felt fine and completely ok to carry on so I did - is this dangerous, and could his have a negative impact on my exercise?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    From what I understand it is very common to have a fluctuating heart rate when just starting or returning to training. Also, if you were using the one on the machine, I know mine at home is really inaccurate. I'd just make sure that you are feeling OK and using a perceived rate of exhertion when starting out.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and I always try to keep mine between 155-165 for the most part during cardio but with that said I know I can get up to 200 and I try to hit that a handfull of times also throughout the workout. Everyone is different. It may be a good idea to see a trainer for just ONE session (I know they are pricey) but this way the trainer and monitor you for an hour and see were your heart rates (high, low, max, recovery) are. Just to be safe! :) Lastly, the higher the heart rate the more cals you burn!
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree on the machines being inaccurate. I wouldn't base my HR on what the machine told you. If you don't have a HR monitor go by the perceived exertions scale which on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest what do you think you were. I am usually at a 7 or 8 but I wear my HR monitor all of the time too. I'm 55 and my heart rate while exercising goes between 144 and 163.
  • MrsH80
    MrsH80 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks, I did have a proper heart rate monitor when I trained previously but can't seem to find it, Im sure it's lurking in a drawer somewhere - I'll test it out against the one on the machine which I was using this evening, and get one of the fitness assistants/coaches to monitor me when I go next, they're pretty good there and will help out/give advice without having to pay the extra for a full on personal session :)

I didn't think it was bad, but thought better to air on the side of caution and ask!