I need advice for setting exercise goals.

trekkiebeth
trekkiebeth Posts: 172
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Right now the two things I have for exercise are my stationary bike and the 30-Day Shred. (I'm on level 1.) I did the Shred once last week and was sore for a few days. I did it again yesterday and I'm much less sore already. I guess you're probably supposed to do it every single day, but I was thinking I would do it every other weekday, so MWF. Once it gets easier I might move up to doing it M-F.

My goal before I started the 30-Day Shred was to do 30 minutes on the stationary bike 5 days a week. But the last two times I did the Shred I only did 15 minutes on the bike that day. Should I assume that on days I do the Shred I also need to do the bike because the Shred by itself doesn't burn enough calories? If so, should I just do 15 minutes or would I need to do 30? Obviously on days I don't do the Shred I would do 30 minutes on the bike.

This is for weight loss. I have 22 very stubborn pounds to lose. I've gained 2 pounds since I started exercising almost 4 weeks ago and I want to reverse that disturbing trend.

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    It's good to start easier on something that's challenging for you, and work your way up gradually. I think you have the right idea there.

If you aren't burning enough calories doing the Shred and wish to burn more, I think riding the stationary bike is a good plan.

And the 2 pounds you've gained are probably muscle! Don't let it discourage you. :smile:
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    I have done the 30DS the last 5 days (I took off one day for a headache) and I am on level 1. I get a burn of about 328 for 23 minutes. The first time I did the 30DS one day last month... I was sooooo sore for 3 days.

This time around I didn't push mysel as hard (i did a lot of modified ones that her friend does) and do a really good stretch after. That will help with a lot of the soreness. I have very little soreness now and I am happy with the workout.
  • I'm doing a conservative estimate of 120 calories for the 30-Day Shred because there's so little cardio in it. My arms get tired, but I don't feel like I'm burning many calories except for the very few cardio minutes.
  • I have done the 30DS the last 5 days (I took off one day for a headache) and I am on level 1. I get a burn of about 328 for 23 minutes. The first time I did the 30DS one day last month... I was sooooo sore for 3 days.

This time around I didn't push mysel as hard (i did a lot of modified ones that her friend does) and do a really good stretch after. That will help with a lot of the soreness. I have very little soreness now and I am happy with the workout.

I do the the Shred to, and according to MFP it's only about 270 calories. Do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • what is shred?
  • what is shred?

Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred exercise DVD.
  • I do the the Shred to, and according to MFP it's only about 270 calories. Do you have a heart rate monitor?

Nope. They're way too expensive for me.
  • [/quote]
    Nope. They're way too expensive for me.
    [/quote]

My thoughts too... I usually go with what MFP says give or take a couple!
This discussion has been closed.