Oh boy... (re)starting strength training!

Options
I have no car. I ride my bike at least 45 minutes most days a week, and probably 4-5 days a week walk at least 45 minutes, so I really have no problem getting cardio. In fact, I love it! However, I've always really hated strength training. I used to get cranky about having to do cardio, but it's no longer a chore for me. Well, strength training is a huge chore. I used to do it twice a week, but fell off the wagon. It's such a pain to get the correct form down, and then I'm sore for days after... whine... whine... gripe...

But I need to start putting some muscle on my flabby frame again! I bought the book "Smart Girls Do Dumbbells", which has an exercise program you're supposed to do every day (alternating muscle groups each day). I know myself well enough to know that I would never, ever, ever stick with a strength training program that has you going every day, so I'm packing two days' worth into a longer session twice a week for now. Maybe if I start getting strong (!) I'll bump it up to three.

My first day was yesterday. It was embarrassing, since I could only do one set of 10 reps each exercise, but I know that I'll build up slowly... if I can stick with it! How do you guys stay motivated with strength training?

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Hang in there and the results you see will motivate you to keep going! So proud of you for the success you have had!:flowerforyou:
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Once you know what you can do, work to improve on it. The results are what always kept me motivated.
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling i got a dvd of tone using weights its Richard simmons but he has you work with a light set if weights and then a heavier set its just 30 min for me its working. Linda
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You may try kettlebells and like them. You don't have to be talented as a weigh lifter and they are very fun, plus you get your cardio too.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I just gotta suck it up and keep on schedule for a few weeks until I start noticing results.

Goal 1: Get up to 11 reps per set! (Hey, start low, go slow, that's what the author of my book says.)

Also, kettlebells look interesting... I might have to check those out sometime.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    How this for motivation...lifting weights will build muscle and muscle burns fat. You will reach your goals sooner and maintain your results longer if you add weight lifting to your routine. Check out Power90. 3 days a week cardio / 3 days a week resistance. Once you finish that, then put your new sexy body thru P90X. You'll be happy you did. Then top it all off with Insanity and people you haven't seen in 6-8 month won't even recognize you. Trust me...it works.